A lot of fry questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBTM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got into aquariums, and I just picked up 8 various small fry (all 1/4 inch, hai reefs, acei, benga golds) from someone on craigslist. i have them in a tank by themselves, and have been feeding them crushed flakes. I also have 5 cobalt blue (1/2 inch) in there as well. I am not sure how old they are, any guesses? how fast will they grow, and should i be worried about the cobalts eating the others any time soon? Should i be feeding them anything different? I was also wondering when it would be acceptable to put them in my 55 gal? There is a 3 inch jack dempsey, 4 inch oscar, and a 5 inch bichir that might eat them. The fry are in an established 25 gal tank w/filter. What about water changes?

Thanks for any help.

With that stocking list in your 55, please consider al of those fry food if you move them over.

Water changes with fry is trickier: just be careful to only start the intake of water when you're well shot of the surface. And check your bucket of extracted water carefully before you dump it.

I know that right now the fry could not go into the 55 gal, i was just wondering about how long i could expect for them to get big enough

Water changes need to be done more often than you would normally do on the same tank with adults in it. Fry will grow much better with lots of water changes than without them. You could feed fish that size daphnia, baby brine shrimp, microworms and as you have found flake food. BBS and daphnia are available frozen and if you break off a small amount and defrost it the fry will really go for it. Microworm cultures are available on aquabid for a very reasonable price and thereafter the supply becomes unlimited. I would look to trying a combination of lots of different foods to maximize growth. The idea being that whatever is missing in one of the foods will be present in another.

Back
Top Bottom