Ball with eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Nit sure if this is the place to put it but I have a 55 gallon aquarium with mollies, platys and a female betta.
Today on one of the anubias leaves I found a small ball with eyes. Did one of my livebearers miscarry? I do have a few snails but it doesn't look like a baby snail.

Attachments

• 20190905_061242.jpg
    20190905_061242.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 50
Nit sure if this is the place to put it but I have a 55 gallon aquarium with mollies, platys and a female betta.

Today on one of the anubias leaves I found a small ball with eyes. Did one of my livebearers miscarry? I do have a few snails but it doesn't look like a baby snail.

SaraB I don't know much and I know it isn't but it look like something trying to get out of its egg.

It wasn't moving so I figured it was already dead. The only egg layers in the tank are my betta and mystery snails.

It does look like an egg with embryo ( You can use a magnifying glass to see if you see a spine and yolk sac inside the egg). The Betta laying a fertilized egg is out of the question. A premature livebearer fry is possible but rather rare that it would be alive. If the egg does not cloud over in a day or two, I would consider it alive.
It can be eaten by the fish in the tank so if you want to see if it survives, I would suggest putting the leaf with the egg into a net breeder or some form of filtered isolation. (y)

It was eaten shortly after I posted this. I wonder if it was from my stressed platy. I have 3 females and 1 male but the male only chases the 1 female around.
I'm giving him to the Lfs tomorrow.

It was eaten shortly after I posted this. I wonder if it was from my stressed platy. I have 3 females and 1 male but the male only chases the 1 female around.
I'm giving him to the Lfs tomorrow.

That's a shame. It looked alive in the pic. But eggs are good nutrition for fish so at least it didn't go to waste.( but it would have been interesting to see if it survived.(y) )

Back
Top Bottom