Bolivian ram eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t4runnr

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I get back from my weekend golf trip and find some eggs and very protective parents. The entire left side of my 75g is void of any fish. Well, at least near the bottom. And the driftwood that protects them and their eggs is also shelter to a bunch of Bn pleco fry.

Hormones are raging in this tank that's for sure.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401146596.098160.jpg

How many did you have for them to pair? I bought three trying to get a breeding pair but so far I've had no luck.

How many did you have for them to pair? I bought three trying to get a breeding pair but so far I've had no luck.

I actually got 2 pair from another forum member here, Laser, who lives not far from me. So they were already paired up. Although, one of the pairs appear to have "broken up".

I'm probably going to buy a pair from yunite. It's 30 dollars for a single pair from them.

Well, the eggs were gone last night. I don't know if the eggs were eaten or hatched and then eaten.

I don't see any wigglers. The female is still protecting the area pretty aggressively. The male is now hanging out on the other side of the tank.

The pit that they dug out next to the flat stone is under a large piece of driftwood and its not very visible from the front. Hopefully, the wigglers are hiding between the bottom of the driftwood and the sand.

If not, I guess better luck next time. As for the BN pleco babies, they have definitely become free swimming. I'm not sure how many have been picked off by the rams and the angelfish though. This morning with all the lights off, I shined my flashlight into the tank and saw a bunch on or under the driftwood which has plenty of nooks for them to hide so hopefully they are still there.

Plecos and eggs usually result in well fed plecos.. I've had a batch hatch our with a hungry pleco, the mom dug out a tiny crevice under a rock that she could barely squeeze into herself..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plecos and eggs usually result in well fed plecos.. I've had a batch hatch our with a hungry pleco, the mom dug out a tiny crevice under a rock that she could barely squeeze into herself..

Are you suggesting that my Bn Plecos may have eaten the ram eggs or fry? That would be ironic if that really
Happened wd because I think I saw the male ram pick off a free swimming pleco fry the other night. It's an eye for an eye kind of world in that tank.

I would say the parents would be a more likely culprit, than again if the pleco fry are big enough to eat the egg go it would be a ideal situation.. life begets life..

Yeah. It would be nice to have some
Survive that can move out but it won't kill me that they don't make it. More protein for everyone else in that tank. =p

Back
Top Bottom