Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbree13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning on getting a heavily planted 29 gallon tank.
Are angle fish easy to breed? If I got a pair would there be a problem with them breeding in a 29 gallon tank?
Or are rainbow fish easy to breed too? I can't decide what fish I want! Any recommendations?

I want some of a challenge, I'm breeding guppies right now! So easy, but I want a fresh water fish that's easy, not super easy, but not hard!

Maybe African cichlids mine had babies without me doing anything.... Or Bettas? Oscars?

I also heard angel fish are easy but African cichlids need a bigger tank due to aggression and wont breed in that small. Betas are hard (still trying myself). Convict cichlids are pretty easy though. Oscars need 70G and more for a pair.

I'm planning on getting a heavily planted 29 gallon tank.
Are angle fish easy to breed? If I got a pair would there be a problem with them breeding in a 29 gallon tank?
Or are rainbow fish easy to breed too? I can't decide what fish I want! Any recommendations?

If you are intentially trying to breed fish, you don't want to have a heavily planted tank unless your planning on Barbs or Tetras, Rainbows or livebearers. (Barbs and Tetras are not extremely easy but not very difficult either.)
You also need to keep in mind that if you are intending on breeding angels, you will only have the 2 fish in the tank. Breeding pairs of almost any fish become aggressive towards their tankmates and are best kept to themselves.

Successfully rearing Angel fry will be difficult if you have them in such a setup as well. They need to be able to find food on a constant basis. A heavily planted tank does not allow for this.

I'd suggest that if you intend on the planted tank, make a nice collection of fish and enjoy the serenity :D. If you want to breed fish, do a bit more research on the proper ways of breeding the different varieties you are interested in.

FYI: The tank is too small for breeding most africans, too large for breeding most Tetras and Barbs, WAY too large for Bettas and EXTREMELY too small for oscars and the wrong setup for breeding Gouramis. (I've commercially bred all these fish.) Convict cichlids would do okay in this sized tank but will probably tear up the plants. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I read that for angels you need to introduce a slate rock or something flat in a 30 to 40 degree angle for them to lay their eggs!! Im not an expert so may be someone that is will clear what im saying!!

I read that for angels you need to introduce a slate rock or something flat in a 30 to 40 degree angle for them to lay their eggs!! Im not an expert so may be someone that is will clear what im saying!!

Angelfish naturally breed on any flat surface that is upright. Most common is the leaf from an Amazon Sword plant. For artificial rearing, a substitute for the leaf is used for easy removal to a hatching tank. Slate, Clay Pots, PVC pipe, commercially available breeding stands or any Flat rock will do ;)

Hope this answers your question (y)

Back
Top Bottom