Breeding Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty sure my emerald cories laid eggs last night, and I was wondering if the females would lay eggs without males present?

Idk if there are any males, I was wondering if my females would lay eggs without males. Because they laid eggs, idk if they're fertilized

It's possible, but I think that there are supposed to be males with females if you wanted them to hatch. I'm sure there should be males...did you somehow sex them? Because if you did I must know your method, I can't tell the difference! :)

Haha yeah I know there has to be males for them to hatch :) I have no idea on how to sex them. I have a school and this is the second time they laid eggs. So I'm hoping they're are males.

Well, females get a little bigger and have a rounder tummy. Lol, I know that description is totally vague! I can tell some of my cory species' genders apart, but I have never owned emeralds.

Sometimes a female may lay eggs without males being present.
The best way to tell if you have male or a female is to look at the belly, if the cory is resting on the bottom of the substrate and the nose and tail doesn't touch the bottom it's most likely a female. Females are also larger than males of the same age. The ventral fins (second pair of fins on the belly) will be cup shaped on the female so they can carry the eggs while spawning and the males will be more pointed. Another thing is females also look wider from above. Got any pics so we can identify them?

Thanks! I'll try to get some up today, idk I will they like to hide under the driftwood and plants haha

Will eggs grown fungus on them if they're not fertilized? This is the second time most of my eggs have fungus on them, I dosed with methylene blue in the egg tank and fungus still grew.

Thanks! This is the second time its happened so I probably don't have any males, or the just don't wanna breed haha

Yep, it can happen, I done it with methylene blue too and still can fungus, did you have a flow going over the eggs? What colour did the eggs go? Take any with fungus out as soon as you know they have fungus.

No I didn't at first I added flow a today. Is that the only way to prevent fungus? And they were a white, with some clear spots

One of my lot turned a tan (fertile).. But died due to an outbreak of fungus.. Shame, I had cross bred my corydoras' that time so I would have a new sort.. A flow is preferred. Got this from another forum because the pics are great :)

Fertile Corydoras eggs tend to go a tan sort of colour. After a few days you can just about make out the embryo developing inside (if you screw up your eyes/use a magnifying glass)
img0018640ph8.jpg

Infertile eggs tend to go/remain white and have fuzz growing on them.. You can see four dead ones in the group below.

img0032640lb0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom