Bubble nests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyektulu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well my Dwarf Gouramis must be ready to mate!
The male, (whom I have nicknamed 'big yin' as he looks very unhappy all the time :lol: ) is starting to build a bubble nest. He has tried before, rather unsuccesfully, his nest always seems to drift apart and wont stay still.
I was just wondering, has anyone else bred Dwarf Gouramis?
I really havnt seen any sign that the pair are willing to breed untill he begins to build a bubble nest, the problem is he is in a community tank, can I move them to a private tank after he has began to construct a nest or will this disturb the process entirly? Also is the filter to blame with the nest becoming unstable?
I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Do you have any floating plants or plant rests he could get to stabilize his nest? Duckweed semms to be good for support, unless your filterflow is really high and kinda points at his nest.

I had dwarf gouramis breeding in my community tank, too. Normally once the eggs are in the nest the male will scare every fish away that comes to close to the nest (even the female, so hopefully your aquarium is big enough). I took out the little larvaes as soon as they hatched and I've spotted them. They are really tiny and will need fluid nutients because of their size.

Back
Top Bottom