Fancy Goldfish Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarryEyedTiGeR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a week ago, I noticed that my fancy goldfish tank was covered in eggs! I've had these fish for a while now and they had never laid eggs before, so I thought maybe I had all males or all females. I was incorrect!;)

The majority of the eggs were laid on one of my large Amazon Sword plants, so I took it out of the big goldfish tank and sat the plant into a 5 gallon temporary breeder tank. A few days later, all of the eggs have hatched, and I now have adorable little goldfish fry swimming around! (They're quite cute too!) I have tried several times to get pictures of them, but that's proven to be just about impossible!

Ok, now the complicated part- I have no idea which goldfish are the parents! I have 2 calico Ryukin, 1 red/white telescope, 1 Oranda, and 1 small black/orange fantail (I think he's too young to be one of the mated fish). I THINK that the mated pair may be one of my calico Ryukin and the Red/white Telescope just based on their swimming patterns, but I'm not certain.

Does anyone know what age I will be able to tell what sort of hybrid they might be? Also, if by some weird chance, the Oranda and the Red Telescope mated, do I need to worry about any sort of issue with the head/eyes of the new fry?

As of right now, their water is staying at a constant temperature, I'm doing small water changes regurally, and I'm feeding them the first bites. Anything else I should do?? :confused:

wow ive never heard of somebody actually having goldfish make babies. they always die within 2 years when i get em. congrats! and im 100% sure you can find the info you need on here, you just have to ask the right people

Wish I had the answers. Hopefully jsoong will see this thread, he's our goldfish expert.

My knowledge is limited to : if you keep them in a tank, it must be a large tank, cool water and clean it a lot.

If you keep them in a pond, pretty much the same. We keep ours in a pond and every spring they spawn. But ours aren't fancy ones either. Just koi, comets, and shubunkins.

Thanks you guys.

Just a little update- the fry are growing strong! They are still eating the "first bites" and I'm still doing tiny water changes on them regurally. I also got a small filter for the tank to help keep their water cleaner (water changes are difficult with such tiny fry!) I am not quite sure how many are in the tank at this point, but believe me when I say it's a LOT! :)

Pics? :D I love baby pics!

I tried to get a few pictures a little while ago. They didn't turn out so well because the fry are still tiny tiny! :)

img_1111879_0_49eac87a5c37864ebe4037e2e170cd92.jpg

img_1111879_1_da6209358df04a3fe755662b6bd3e48c.jpg

img_1111879_2_4bac8bcf2bae7017ed08d0a91df41dd7.jpg

img_1111879_3_683616e58cbbc881a7bb5e125df1bfc0.jpg

img_1111879_4_f44f50da6f19dc9e3479500dc4b2f06d.jpg

Awesome! So they are just little clear bodies with eyes now LOL. That's how my gupsters were. :) So cute! Thanks for posting.

Awesome! So they are just little clear bodies with eyes now LOL. That's how my gupsters were. :) So cute! Thanks for posting.

Pretty much lol! Just clear little "blobs" with black eyes for right now- there are tons of them too!!! I can't wait for them to get bigger! :)

how old are they, they look big to me.

They hatched on May 7th. :)

Back
Top Bottom