Fish that will breed in hard water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am entertaining the idea of trying to breed some fish. My PH is around 7.8-8. I have african mbuna, but due to the possibility of some of them cross breeding, i wont be doing much with that. More as a hobby and to see what comes of it then to make any real profit. Am i pretty much stuck with livebearers like guppies and platties? I would have loved to breed a schooling fish of some sort like tetras, but it seems like all of them need acidic water to breed so ive never seen anything come from the varieties i keep. The tanks i have available at the moment to use is a 25 and a 10 gallon. I dont want to mess with changing the PH since it wouldnt be reliable without investing a ton in an RO system

Any thoughts?

Some of the Goodieds would work in those tanks and conditions. They are hardy and not your average livebearer. Several are extinct in the wild and the Goodied Work Group is dedicated to saving them as is C.A.R.E.S and several other groups. They are nothing like your run of the mill Guppy, Sword, Platy or Molly. Select Aquatics has a great website to give you a feel for what I am talking about.

Most of the inverts would do well in that water.

Some of the Goodieds would work in those tanks and conditions. They are hardy and not your average livebearer. Several are extinct in the wild and the Goodied Work Group is dedicated to saving them as is C.A.R.E.S and several other groups. They are nothing like your run of the mill Guppy, Sword, Platy or Molly. Select Aquatics has a great website to give you a feel for what I am talking about.

Most of the inverts would do well in that water.

Yes!! My friend keeps all sorts of goodieds and they are awesome! Some of them will even eat small snails he's told me. They are a livebearer but they have a placenta that comes out with the fry. I actually got to see this and it was interesting. I've been thinking of trying some in my hard water myself. Good advice here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Shellie's are interesting and I was thinking about doing those eventually. Actually that was my original plan for my 20 gallon long planted tank but I had a hard time finding a place to buy larger shells for them. They may be an option, but I can't see there being too much of a market for those here. Not that I'm looking to make a lot of money. But I'd need to be able to at least move some fry lol

Those goodieds look interesting, but I've never heard of them and they seem like it would be very hard to find a source to get some here. And I'm in Canada so shipping isn't an option the majority of the time, even if I could find a seller :/

I may try to hold out and get another larger tank and try and find some Saulosi. I've never seen them around here and I'm seeing people asking about them pretty often. Mbuna kind of are a soft spot for me too now lol but if any have other suggestions of love to hear them!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shelldwellers! Basically any shelldweller. I breed multies personally.

Whats the deal with these related to tank size and things like that? I am breeding some livebearers and going to try super red BN plecos here soon. But i have pretty hard water and am fairly limited without RO and things of that nature. Never seen shelldwellers before personally.

Sorry if hijack o.o

Back
Top Bottom