Food for Angel fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Commander_Louie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Petstore told me to crush up granules but I don't think their eating it. got the angelfish parents with their fry(free swimming for 2 days) in a 30 gallon tank. I'm going away and must leave the feeding to someone else. I will have to start hatching brine shrimp when I get back. What is a temporary thing they can feed them until I get back on Monday?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My favorite food to feed my fry is a mix of bacteria and small organisms, just take some plant matter (dying leaves, old plants, anything really) and put it in a jar with some water and put a lid on it. Put it in the sunlight for a day, and pour some of the water in. Tiny little organisms that are helping with the decay process will be in the water that the fry love to eat, refill the water that you poured out in the jar, and put the jar back in the sunlight.

Petstore told me to crush up granules but I don't think their eating it. got the angelfish parents with their fry(free swimming for 2 days) in a 30 gallon tank. I'm going away and must leave the feeding to someone else. I will have to start hatching brine shrimp when I get back. What is a temporary thing they can feed them until I get back on Monday?
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Studies have shown that live newly hatched brine shrimp is the best food for baby Angelfish followed by decapsulated brine shrimp. The worst food for health and growth was flake type foods. If you have time, get some frozen baby brine shrimp for your person to feed the fry until you get back. You can also add some live bunched plants for the fry to eat whatever infusoria may be on the plants naturally.

Side notes: #1-Some of the newer varieties of Angelfish are producing fry that are too small for newly hatched shrimp and will require infusoria as a first food for about a week until they grow large enough for the shrimp. The process of the dead leaves in the window was described in a previous post.

#2- First bites is a good first food for live bearer fry ( and it even says on the packaging that it's for live bearers) but not for many egg layers. For Angels, it seems the movement of the food is what triggers the fry to feed. If your fry do not eat this and it sits on the bottom of the tank, it will pollute the water and kill the fry just as fast as not feeding them at all will. Use with care.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom