fry and community tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have recently gotten some platy, they are currently in my community tank. A dwarf gourami, some neons and rasbora. I do plan to set up an all livebearer tank but figure in the mean time I should think about options because I'm sure at least 1 of the females has probably come pregnant from the petstore.

I'm not completely set on keeping any fry for the first while without a permanent tank, if it happens then that's cool.

So I guess I was thinking either maybe I get a 10 gallon, set it up as a breeder for the fry though it's hit or miss on whether that would cycle on time, even with some seeded media.

Or maybe would it be a better idea to just offer a lot of coverage in my community tank? I have a lot of drift wood and some fake plants, a cave and recently picked up some rocks to make some more caves. I was also planning on a few more "plants" for the front/lower levels as mine are all taller.

Would putting them in a cycling tank be worse than having them in the community tank? I'm just weighing my options here on what would happen given both situations.

Personally, I always vote for keeping fry in the main tank. I have various livebearers and have created an area of their tank with branches and both java moss and fake plants in order to give them a safe haven. They are smart enough to go there and wait it out until they are large enough to join the community without becoming lunch. I think this gives you stronger, healthier fry and it definitely has shown me what amazing self-preservation skills they exhibit. I wouldn't have seen any of that in a grow-out fry tank.

Personally, I always vote for keeping fry in the main tank. I have various livebearers and have created an area of their tank with branches and both java moss and fake plants in order to give them a safe haven. They are smart enough to go there and wait it out until they are large enough to join the community without becoming lunch. I think this gives you stronger, healthier fry and it definitely has shown me what amazing self-preservation skills they exhibit. I wouldn't have seen any of that in a grow-out fry tank.

oh, interesting! I'm glad to hear some success on this. How do you handle feeding them?

Also roughly how much footspace in a tank would you dedicate to them?

In my 46 gallon, they probably have less than a gallon. It's kind of in the upper right corner of the tank. They live off of the micronutrients in the java moss and other plants, and I also direct some fry food in there for them.

ok, so there set up is on the top of the tank not the bottom? Or am I reading that wrong? Thanks, this sounds really interesting. I hope I'm able to try it.

Back
Top Bottom