GBR eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
My GBR pair have already spawned 6-7 times and something has eaten the eggs(parents) each time...so I took matters into my own hands and took the filter intake that the eggs were on and put it into a liveberrers breeding box.....not the net/mesh kind...anice one with an air pump attached to let the water fall onto the eggs gently.....I also added some methane blue fungal disease protector to the breeding box to help with fungus.....any advice?

image-1786156547.jpg

image-1915457841.jpg

Ps the snail shell is just a shell.....died a while ago....just like the look of it.

Howling does it take to hatch? And about how long will it take for me to tell when they turn white and unfertile?

Update:

This morning I woke up and all eggs look healthy but like 3-4 did not! So should I try to get them out or should I leave them?

This pair eats ALL of the eggs.

What I've found in the past when my Rams were constatntly eating their spawns, was that they did not feel secure enough in their tank so they "protected" their spawn by eating it. Once I moved them to the back of my breeding room, back into a corner, away from any foot traffic and lookers ons, they started raising their spawns instead of eating them. Since they were by themselves in the tank, I know it wasn't any other fish that were causing this so it had to be the people going into the room.

Coincidence? :brows:

Thanks to petco's $1/gallon sale, I am setting up some 20 longs as we speak. By summer time, they'll be in my fish room in the basement.

Thanks to petco's $1/gallon sale, I am setting up some 20 longs as we speak. By summer time, they'll be in my fish room in the basement.

If I'm right, you should see a marked difference in their spawning results ;) Good luck (y)

I'd use the spawn you separated to see if any of the eggs hatch. At least then you'd know that you had a fertile pair. It only takes 1 egg to hatch for you to know this.

If I'm right, you should see a marked difference in their spawning results ;) Good luck (y)

I'd use the spawn you separated to see if any of the eggs hatch. At least then you'd know that you had a fertile pair. It only takes 1 egg to hatch for you to know this.

I can already see eyes in most of them! There is 2 little black dots in all of the eggs that aren't white...how long until they hatch...it has also been about 48 hrs Since I found the eggs

If I remember correctly, at 78-80 degrees, the eggs hatch in 3 days (72 hours from being layed) and the fry will be free swimming in about 3 -4 more days. Just make sure you have some fry food ready for when they start free swimming.

If you can see eyes, you have 95% of the question answered, they are fertile. The last 5% is will they hatch. You should know that in about a day
:D

Good luck with them (y)

If I remember correctly, at 78-80 degrees, the eggs hatch in 3 days (72 hours from being layed) and the fry will be free swimming in about 3 -4 more days. Just make sure you have some fry food ready for when they start free swimming.

If you can see eyes, you have 95% of the question answered, they are fertile. The last 5% is will they hatch. You should know that in about a day
:D

Good luck with them (y)

My temp is about 82-83 how will this effect the times of when they will hatch?

Update

Every 10-12 seconds I can see an egg start squirming and moveing. It lasts for about 1/2 to 1 sec. It is very interesting

Ahhh, the marvels of fish breeding :D
Higher temps usually decrease the hatching time. In the case of Wild Rams, temps of 82- 84 degrees are necessary for spawning. ( I may have misstated the temps needed in my previous post.)
I did some research and found this article that closely resembles how I bred these fish. You might find it helpful:
Breeding Ram Cichlids Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Keep us posted (y)

Ahhh, the marvels of fish breeding :D
Higher temps usually decrease the hatching time. In the case of Wild Rams, temps of 82- 84 degrees are necessary for spawning. ( I may have misstated the temps needed in my previous post.)
I did some research and found this article that closely resembles how I bred these fish. You might find it helpful:
Breeding Ram Cichlids Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Keep us posted (y)

Thanks for the article! That was very informational! So I apparently have a fertile pair because the eggs hatched!! And now they look like eggs with tails!! I will try to update and get a good pic!;)

Back
Top Bottom