Help with caring for cory eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
My peppered Cory laid a ton of eggs yesterday. I briefly read about it, and I read that the environment needs to be kept very clean and remove any eggs with fungus or something? How do I know which ones to remove? Out of what I read I didn't see anything that said what to look for to know which ones to remove. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The white and fuzzy ones definitely have to go. I treat with methylene blue just after I collect them and slowly dilute solution/water each day until by day three or so they are in pure, clean water (dechlorinated).

The white and fuzzy ones definitely have to go. I treat with methylene blue just after I collect them and slowly dilute solution/water each day until by day three or so they are in pure, clean water (dechlorinated).

Just looked in my tank and all the clusters of my eggs look fuzzy. Thats not a good thing is it?

carefully remove the fuzzy/white ones..you may have a few that you can save..fingers crossed.....I collected 13 and only had 3 that made it without fungus

carefully remove the fuzzy/white ones..you may have a few that you can save..fingers crossed.....I collected 13 and only had 3 that made it without fungus

I can tell all of the clusters are all fuzzy, I honestly cannot see one egg that isn't fuzzy. And they are all still white, I've read by now if they were fertilized they should've started turning darker by now. Is there any truth to that about them turning a darker color?

The eggs hatch in (I think) about 4-5 days. If you look at the egg with a light behind it you should see a distinct somewhat darker or yellowish mass (more like a circle). This will get darker as the days progress until you can see the embryo itself just before hatching.
I collect the eggs just after spawning with my fingers and place in a small container with clean, dechlorinated water. They are sticky the first few hours and you can roll them onto your finger. The eggs are kinda tough and you really have to try to crush them. I then treat with methylene blue for a day or two with water changes in the container daily or twice daily until the eggs hatch. Hope this is useful and works for you.

Back
Top Bottom