Help with Cory eggs please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walklong

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi gang,

My green cory's have suddenly started to spawn, with at least one female depositing eggs all over our 29T planted tank.

I'm trying to track down advice on how to best move the eggs to a nursery tank, as the 29 is chock full right now with neon, red-eye and black phantom tetra, which I would expect would make a short meal of the hatching fry.

I've come across a couple references to using a razor blade or toothpicks, but my attempt with toothpick proved awkward.

I'm mostly wondering if, having dislodged the egg, is it necessary to get it stuck to the sides of the nursery tank, or is ok to have them free, resting on the sand bottom?

TIA for any help!

Bill

I would say it's ok to have them resting on the bottom. Most might recommend a bare bottom tank for the purpose of egg hatching and fry raising. It's easier to keep clean. Most eggs need water flowing across them so they don't get fungus, not sure if Cory eggs are prone to fungus.

Thanks Clayman!
This being my first go with Corys (and anything that lays eggs (except ramshorn snails)) I'm learning as I go. Have a 1 1/2 gallon tank set up for the eggs. It's got a weird bottom with a bunch of 'dimples' that would, I think, make for pockets of still water. Have a half inch of fine sand to level things off. Using the integrated filter and an air stone to create movement. Putting some Seachem Paraguard in the water as it is listed for fungus control. Going to move half the eggs and see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 for the flowing water. I rescued my first batch of Cory eggs and despite an air stone directed to them they still ended up with fungus :( some people recommend methylene blue to prevent fungus. I might try it next time. As for getting out of tank. If they are on a leaf I just cut the leaf off and put it in the spare tank. If on the glass I found it easiest to gently roll them with my finger. Tbh they very sticky and usually come off with a slight touch. I then placed them on the bare bottom of the spare tank. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BB is best for almost all eggs and fry.
Cories are the exception as I understand.
I have never been able to get my orange laser cories to spawn or if they do/did it went unnoticed in my 180!
Do to the cory being a bottom dwelling fish the sand on the bottom is supposed to help the fry from being infected by bacteria that inhabit the bottom of the tank.
Plus 1 on the MB as it is what will help the most with fungas or you can try H2O2(hydrogen peroxide).
Be sure to keep air supply going strong if you go MB route which I would use if artificially hatching.

I am really appreciating all the help, I've got a little powerhead around here somewhere and I'm going to try using it, to improve the flow. I'm prepared for disappointment/failure with this batch of eggs, but I've learned that ma nature is not a force to be reckoned with lightly and we're hoping for the best (especially my 11 year old, she's becoming a betta pro in her own right and it's a great hobby to share with her).

Sponge filters driven by air pumps are the choice of breeders both professional and hobbiest!
Almost any other filter will suck the fry or eggs up!
Air stones work well also but demand more attention to water quality .

Roger that - I'm moving a sponge filter over from another tank (the Paraguard is supposedly safe for the BB colonies, so I'll get the benefit of a cycled filter).

Tetras LOVE cory fry. One of my pristellas found out how to jump into the breeder box for lunch. It happened more than once.
Yes cory eggs are prime to fungus, +1 to all the water flow comments. No need to stick them anywhere you can just let them fall into the container. I pick them out of the tank with my hands, not the easiest way to do things but can be done...just give them adequate time to harden. Try not to expose them to air when you're moving them if possible.

Back
Top Bottom