I got wigglers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my juvenile green terrors decided that right now would be a good time to have their first fry. I was not really prepared for this but I am going to be borrowing a friends aquarium to put the fry in once I can remove them from my main tank. I have also contacted a LFS that will take the fry that survives. Also this is the first time that I will have had any experience with breeding fish.

So my question is can I expect any of the fry to survive? I have read online that it is not uncommon for the parents to eat their first fry. But I don't believe everything I read on the interwebs.

Sorry if I was rambling I have need up since 3:30 his morning and had a long day at work.

The parents may eat them, but that is not the norm. The parent gaurd the fry for the first few weeks, so other fish beware. Once the fry start getting hard for the parents to control siphon them out, literally. Depending on the size of the rearing tank, you can expect some die off or most making it. The bigger the tank the more that live and the faster they grow. Just an FYI, you can get a stock tank at the local hardware or feed store for $50-$60 and rear them that way. They will grow fast and even faster if you start them on live brine shrimp from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom