Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I'VE GOT EGGS!!!!!!

OMG, I'm so wound up!!! I was checking on my fish just now and I was looking at my ram's typical hiding place under the cabomba and there are eggs.....a bunch of little white eggs all over my black gravel!!! OMG!!! What do I do???? Do I leave them and give them a chance, do I grab a 5 or 10 gallon set-up and start a fry tank to take care of them myself!!! HELP!!!! Avice, I need advice big time....what do I do???? I think they just laid them today, they weren't there this morning or at noon either. MAYDAY!!! SOS!!!

Yes, Rams will spawn in hard, neutral water!!!!

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
PM sent....

Excellent job......
And that was the easy part. Now's dcision time...
Remember, if you decide to take some eggs out, take them all out. If you only take some, thinking of keeping some in the small tank, the parents will feel threatened and eat the rest.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to DarylF2 Send a message via Yahoo to DarylF2
Congratulations!! I'm jealous!

Hopefully you'll get tons of great advice from the experts here (all I've bred so far are Corydoras).
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks y'all. LWB, I'm going to print your PM and study it closely. I haven't decided what to do yet, I'm going to leave alone for now, and decide tomorrow. I don't anywhere to put them tonight anyway. Here's some pics I thought I would share....this is as good as it gets with a cell phone.......I didn't want to bother the parents too much.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

Old 06-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a problem. If there's not much of a threat from other fish, you should be fine. But if they do feel threatened, chances are good that they might eat the eggs. I'm still not clear as to why they do that rather than moving the eggs to another location, but it's just what they seem to do.

Again, congrats on the eggs. Let's hope you get some wigglers.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Congrats! I want to get my Bolivian a boyfriend...maybe I can get some eggs out of them. I've never had fish eggs before!

I hope to have a pair of GBRs in my new 55g.

The dad looks great!

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah, Kristen, I highly recommend these fishies for your tank.

These two have been busy since they laid these eggs. They are so cute. They take turns guarding and fanning. Nothing has happened to the eggs yet, they're still there and Mommy and Daddy ram won't let any fish get near their nest. This is precious. I love it. Still playing it by ear.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
Oh yeah, Kristen, I highly recommend these fishies for your tank.

These two have been busy since they laid these eggs. They are so cute. They take turns guarding and fanning. Nothing has happened to the eggs yet, they're still there and Mommy and Daddy ram won't let any fish get near their nest. This is precious. I love it. Still playing it by ear.
Eggs should hatch in 3-4 days, and some a little longer. Then in 5-7 days after hatching, they should be free-swimming.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update????????????
Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eggs went bye-bye. No suspects. It could have been the parents, or other hungries in the tank. I think I'm going to watch and see where they lay their next set and maybe try to retrieve them to a breeding tank. What a rush to see eggs in your tank and watch parents stand guard....I'm hooked now.

Tags
egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com