Kribs...after the lovin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eelpout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of Kribs that had a small batch of babys (12). Or they had more which were picked off by my Rummy Nose Tetras. Now at 2-3 months post spawn, the male is big, strong and colorful. He has beaten the female to a dull grey, frayed-fin mess. She used to be the bigger/the aggressor of the two. My 37 gal tank has lots of cover. It's heavily planted w/ a rock cave and flower pot cave. He still hunts her down mercilessly. I haven't lost any of the 12 fry.
Do I separate the male for a while?
Anyone know if they would be compatible again at a later date if the female recovers?
Thanks

The male's anxious to spawn again, that's all. This is quite typical male behavior, unfortunately. My girl always got beat up when he was ready and she was not. I'm surprised that, with 3 month old fry, they haven't spawned again.

As for the rummies eating babies, highly doubtful. Rummies are too shy and stressed when kept with kribs and would keep their distance, even from the fry.

You have to determine what you're going to do with the fry. If you're putting them into a grow out tank, the male will calm down.

Typical male behavior across the board ;) I've watched the 6 RNTs down 40 guppy fry in seconds. That's what made me think of the possibility. But with the Kribs parenting/defending, I think you are right...Unlikely. Up until this past week there was a balance and I enjoyed watching the "parenting". Now the male is over the top. A grow out tank would be the answer. The LFS said they must be at least sexable size to purchase. The RNTs are doing well though. They're far too quick. They were tiny when I got them. They've more than doubled their size since purchase. Healthy as horses.

Sexable size is roughly 5 months, in case you were wondering. I found it all too much and brought all of them, including the adults, to the lfs once the fry were large enough that they'd take them. I signed on to be a fishkeeper, not a nanny. ;)

Back
Top Bottom