Need info on livebearers and babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoleMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone have any links to good articles?

I have a sunset wag platy with a rather large belly but don't know how many babies to exect or when.
I spotted one baby about a week ago but haven't seen any since. I did see one yesterday a few hours after cleaning the gravel but it may have been the same one.

I'm also wondering whether to move her to a separate tank, and how soon. I have another aquarium, but it's only 2 gallons. Is that big enough, or would the fry have a better chance of surviving in a 55-gallon tank with only six other fish (2 sunset wag platies, 1 gold dust molly, 3 bloodfin tetras)? And do fry require any special food?

I'm also curious about the gestation period of platies because I bought my second one only a couple of weeks ago. If it was pregnant then, I couldn't tell. I've had the other platy and the molly for a couple of months. Can they have babies together? I have no idea.

Sorry to ramble, and thanks for any help.
8O

I have not looked yet but have you looked at the links in our links section? They might help.

I will try to find some more links later on today.

you would eventually have to move the fry out of the 2 gallon anyway, so if you want to keep the fry and have them grow up in your tank, i would suggest some fry grass--you can find at most lfs, and lots of plants and hiding places--you will be overrun shortly i am sure! i recently bought my mom 2 f and 1 m guppy and now she has about 17! the grow like weeds, soon you will be trying to find them homes! as far as i know the molly and platy can't have babes, but i wouldn't say for sure--if platys are like guppies, they can store sperm for months...i feed my fry crumbled flakes and so far they have all done very well--take some flakes, put them in a plastic baggy and just crunch them into powder...in a large well established tank, they should find plenty to munch on--best luck!

Back
Top Bottom