Sexing Brichardi Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkhail

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips for sexing Brichardi? I can provide pictures but they seem to be photoshy. I have 4 of them and am trying to sex them, they should be reaching sexual maturity soon.

Does anyone have any tips for sexing Brichardi? I can provide pictures but they seem to be photoshy. I have 4 of them and am trying to sex them, they should be reaching sexual maturity soon.

Sexing Brichardis isn't always easy unless you've seen mature fish before so you can see fully formed fish. ;)
The male will have longer fins than the female and the female will have a stockier body than the male. These are the basic differences of the L. brichardi.

Since you have 4, you can wait and see if any 2 pair off naturally and defend an area of the tank. There's your pair. (y) If you see 2 fish being overly aggressive with each other, you can assume that these are both males and should be separated. If you just put a glass or see-through divider in the tank between the 2 fighting males and put one of "non combatants" in with each male, if they are females, then you should have some harmony and potential spawnings in the tank. If they are all males, you should have the same situation again with the fighting and you've answered the question :huh:

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom