Tank size for convicts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain two pairs of convicts in a 20 gallon tank. They are small right now, about 2" total length. Initially I added four, and they paired off immediately, but one pair died about a week later, three days apart. I believe the cause was aggression by the other pair defending their cave.

The tank had just a HOB filter, bare gravel and caves consisting of four flowerpots with 4" mouths and one piece of 3" PVC pipe about 5" long. The remaining pair has laid eggs for me three times in five weeks, with pretty much 100% survival rate (as far as I can tell).

I'm wondering if another pair of similar size could be added to this tank if I paid more attention to cover and obstructed sight lines. The purpose of this tank is to breed feeders, so all fry are removed about two days after hatch.

I'm not necessarily against adding a tank to accomodate another pair, except that there are already seven tanks and when I add up all the electrical ratings of stuff I have running I'm close to maxing out my breakers. I can just see myself plugging in one last filter and all the lights going out, or the house burning down :silly:

If I remember correctly, convicts need quite a large tank just for one pair. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they need a hefty tank.

the pairs would just fight again till one side looses single pairs can do good in small tank (20-25g) but when you start getting into groups you need to start looking at the 40-60g range

Thanks guys. Surely the 40 gallon recommendation is based on adult size? These are still fairly small and seem quite at home in this environment for now.

they will be ok for now, but as they get bigger, they will need more room. I would get them in a bigger tank as soon as you can... I kept a jd and convict pair in a 30g, they did well, then tried adding another convict pair to them and they were NOT happy... when they start breeding, watch out if you keep them together in that small of a tank as you will have some dead fish

They breed faster and more young per brood, losses to cannibalism are minimal, and the fry can be fed to much smaller fish. While most of them are destined to live a life of luxury in growout tanks for some time before meeting a midsized pike, some are used for acclimation of more sensitive new fish while I get them used to taking frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom