Think my Dart is going to have babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I am still very new at this but I am pretty sure one of my darts is going to have babies:
Behavior is odd-one dart is being VERY protective of the other dart, the one dart has a very distended belly (not sure if that is what it is called) my Bala shark has been bothering the one dart all the time so have moved him to my 55 gallon, so all that is left in the tank is 2 darts and a pleco. Not sure what else to look for? I'm probably wrong but does anyone have any info?:confused:

shamu said:
Okay I am still very new at this but I am pretty sure one of my darts is going to have babies:
Behavior is odd-one dart is being VERY protective of the other dart, the one dart has a very distended belly (not sure if that is what it is called) my Bala shark has been bothering the one dart all the time so have moved him to my 55 gallon, so all that is left in the tank is 2 darts and a pleco. Not sure what else to look for? I'm probably wrong but does anyone have any info?:confused:

Can I see a picture of the dart? This would help me help u. Also can u identify the sex of the dart?

I am trying to get a picture but they are not turning out well, How can I tell what sex the dart is? by markings? I will try to get some more pictures with a different camera.
Thanks

shamu said:
I am trying to get a picture but they are not turning out well, How can I tell what sex the dart is? by markings? I will try to get some more pictures with a different camera.
Thanks

Um no I don't think so. Like I said I don't know exactly the species of fish I need a pic. Even if I doesn't turn out so good just the shape of the fish u think is prego will help also the pic of the one protecting it

I am not familiar with that type of fish but unless it's a live bearer a distended belly means the fish is bloated. Egg laying fish don't become pregnant they become gravid (full of eggs) and there is normally very little physical change if any to the fish.

Hi

Here are some pics of the fish in question. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 55
shamu said:
Here are some pics of the fish in question. Thanks for the help.

Nope looks like it might lay eggs but it's not a livebearer sorry. I can give u a list of livebearers if ur interested in breeding fish or getting more bang for ur buck.

Back
Top Bottom