Trying to Sex My Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caspar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Folks,

I just added a pair of Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis to my 29Gal. and I am not sure of their sex. I did witness what I think my be breeding behavior last night though when they gently swam around each other over a large rock that I have in the center of my tank. There have also been a couple of times that one would approach the other and roll over on its side underneath the other.

Does this sound like a Male and Female pair?

Thanks for your help!

Female gouramis are very drab. They are a light blue/grayish color (your powder blues).

If both of your gouramis are a very noticeable blue color, then they are most likely both males. Males will usually fight, so what you are seeing could be aggressive behavior.

Here is a picture of a female neon blue dwarf gourami. You can see the vertical stripes, but she is a very drab gray color.

Here is a pairof dwarf gouramis. You can easily tell which is female. :)

Thanks!

Looking at those pictures and googling a few more I think that I may have two females as the ones I have do not really exhibit any red bands. I am not to sure though. I take it that the Powder Blue and Neon are the same fish?

Thanks again!

I take it that the Powder Blue and Neon are the same fish?
I am not sure. They could be the same though...since they are both blue.

If you had 2 opposite sex gouramis, you'd know it. If yours aren't very boldly colored, then they are most likely females.

Now you could add a single male if you wanted. :)

Back
Top Bottom