1 1/2 months 29 Gal Fishless Cycle for Future Axolotl - Need some advice please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seule_ext777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
I am currently 1 1/2 months into my fishless cycle and I need some advice on how to know if it's finished or not along with some other things.

Tank specs:
-29 gallon
- Filtration: AquaClear 30 Power Filter
- Temperature: 70 degrees
- One small golden pothos plant hanging out of the filter
- some decor including fake plants and two caves
- I have insulation wrapped around it to keep it cold for in the future along with a clip-on fan
- I have not done a single water change other than adding water from evaporation(dosed with prime)

Now, I tested the water 3/8/21 and the results were
PH: 7.2
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

I then dosed the ammonia back up to around 2ppm
(I don't test my tank every day so it can run through its own motions)
But I came back 3/14/21 and the results were:
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 10.0 ppm

I dosed it back up to 3 ppm

I came back 3/16/21 and the results were:
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 40.0 ppm

I dosed it back up to 2 ppm

I came back around an hour ago and the results read:
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

What the heck is going on.. haha. Do I need to finally do a water change? Keep dosing ammonia or just wait it out?

Also, I realize I need to change the carbon filter but after reading: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling I bought some filter media to replace it with but I'm not sure how to go about it... I don't want to kill any bacteria

Also, I want to change my HOB filter to a sponge filter because I realized axolotls like it to be quiet in the tank and I don't want to stress it out....but how does one go about changing filters?

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS THANK YOUUU:thanks::bb:

If the pothos is growing well that could be where your nitrates are going. That or you didn’t shake bottle 2 enough!

Unfortunately you are cycling a filter. Deciding to change the filter means you’ll lose some of your progress. If you want to change filters you should add it and run it in parallel to seed it.

Back
Top Bottom