1 Blue Dream Velvet shrimp are dying and I have no idea why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Krabs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 0 (recent water change)
GH 275PPM
PH 8

i got them a little over a week ago.
one died one day when the tank PH was much higher and the GH was much higher.
then I used distilled water to bring the PH down and it stayed at around 8. I also brought the hardness from 400ppm to 275 ppm over the course of a few days.
after said few days
i was JUST looking at one of the shrimp. alive and well. come back 5 minutes later. dead.
I've raised cherry shrimp in this tank NO problems. no special treatment. not one death.
I even have cherry babies that were born in the tank before i even got the Blue Dream Velvet shrimp. they survived all the changes no problem. they do just fine.
what the heck is happening to my little buddies!?

Well RCS are much hardier than a lot of shrimp. I have had the same problem when I've added Blackberry shrimp, Candy Cane, and Orange Sakura. I have seem to keep one of each alive so far for about 1-2 months. I recently started adding calcium to the tank either by breaking off a piece from a turtle block or mixing some Reptical in during water changes. I don't measuring anything but the basics and pH. My water is about 7.6 or so. I also have shells in my shrimp tank too.

Do you happen to know your KH?

Also do any of the shrimp have any squiggly worm shapes inside of them? - do a search for horsehair worm in shrimp.

Do any seem to have one or more white dots around the head area? Bacterial infection would be possible.

Back
Top Bottom