1 Koi just died, what can I do for the other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before you read my giant bunch of text below, my question is what can I do for my remaining fish after 1 of them died for no discernible reason.

I have a tank with some goldfish, koi, and a shubukin. 1 of the koi I got January, who'd always seemed healthy and had grown from like 3.5 inches to 5 inches in the few months I'd had it, suddenly died last night. I left to run errands around 4pm, got home around 9, and shortly thereafter my husband noticed it was dead. It's got no noticeable signs of illness, it looked perfectly healthy except being dead. :(

It had looked fine before I left, I'm sure because whenever I look at the fish tank I look for any signs of sick fish (clamped fins, out of ordinary behavior, sitting at top or bottom of tank, etc.) I look at the tank a lot cos we have it set up to be in line of sight from most of the living room & dining room/office.

1 of the other Koi we got about a month ago was swimming around with partially clamped fins&looking a bit lethargic, so I moved it to an isolation tank last night, and it seems much better today.

I had checked the tank parameters about 36 hours before (cos when I moved to the new 75 gallon tank, a cycle started even tho I had one already cycled filter, so I'm checking a LOT), and they'd all been in perfectly ok ranges, same as they'd typically been in the old tanks, except the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. I've been amqueling, cos the ammonia's been high, but I'm keeping it at or below .05ppm (as measured by a seachem alert in tank card.) I'd obviously prefer it be lower, of course, but I'm already doing one and a half times the listed amquel dose daily. I'd put in some plants to help with the cycle, but it's a bunch of goldfish. They destroy plants no matter what I do.

My tank is admittedly quite overstocked for goldfish. I would split them out between all the tanks (that was the plan when I got the new big tank, to just put the half dozen biggest fish in it), but every time I try to split them up in pretty much any configuration, they all act really anxious (constantly darting around, ignoring food, jumping at every noise), for days and days. As soon as I put everyone back together in the 75 gallon tank, then they calm right back down and happily swim around and socialize.

In fact whenever I put them back together, they all go around rubbing on each other until everyone has rubbed against everyone else. If I only put some of them back together, they constantly poke around the tank seeming for all the world like they're looking for the "missing" fish (not testing the gravel in case it's food like usual, but just swimming everywhere looking in everything.), Once I put the "missing" fish back in and everyone has rubbed on everyone, they stop poking around the same way and go back to their usual "Is this gravel food? No? How about this gravel?" poking around. So I figure that being in an overcrowded but frequently cleaned tank seems to be better for their mental health than being separate in properly sized tanks.

When they were in the littler tanks, I thoroughly cleaned the tank every few days (25% water changes every other day and seriously vacuuming the gravel twice a week, filter change weekly and rinsing bio media in removed tank water as needed.) That seemed to keep the tank in good shape even tho overstocked with dirty little buggers. :) Since the new tank is cycling, I haven't been vacuuming the gravel as thoroughly, just the surface without really turning it over, but I've been changing the water&filters (tho I haven't touched the bio media and don't plan to until the ammonia's been at 0 without amquel for at least a week.)

Immediately after the koi died, I checked the parameters of the water again, and the only thing "wrong" was that the ph was around 6.4, but my water tends to run low p, and adding ph up never seems to help for long, my water doesn't wanna buffer. I figure it's probably better for the fish to just let the tank constantly be around 6.6 or 6.8 than to constantly be bumping it up and ten having it slip down again.

I've got some rocks that're supposed to improve buffering in, tho they didn't help much in my old tank, but they make good decor anyway. About a week ago I started using ph regulator, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I added some ph up to the tank last night after I found the dead koi just the same. I also put some aquarium salt in the filter.

Sticky questions, tho I think I already covered them all above.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

One koi dead, no noticeable symptoms of anything. Rest of fish mostly seem fine, other than 1 other koi with clamped fins who seems muc improved after 14 or so hours in an isolation tank.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

ammonia between .02 and .05 after amquel. nitrites , nitrates 0, temp 70-72 (my heater wiggles by a couple degrees) ph was 6.4 when dead fish was noticed, is now 6.8ish

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

75 gallon, 2 weeks. Re-cycling cos apparently the one cycled filter and decoration&gravel from cycled tank weren't enough.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

2 HOT tetra 60s, each rated to 300gph, so 600gph

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Too many-four 5-6 inch goldfish, seven 1-2 inch goldfish, one 5 inch koi, three 3 inch koi, one 2.5 inch shubukin.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Water changed 35% 2 days before koi died. Haven't really been vacuuming the gravel deeply cos am worried about removing BB as tank has only been set up for a couple weeks. I've just been poking at the surface of the gravel to remove any debris sitting on top, rather than really sucking the gravel up and thoroughly cleaning it. I change the water at least 30% every other day because of the re-cycle. Was supposed to change it yesterday, but after finding the dead koi, I added amquel and ph up and salt to filters, and then didn't wanna change the water right after all that. Doing it later tonight.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Had the dead fish about 2.5 months, the clamped fin fish about 1.5.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

The tank is "new"-Got it off craigslist, had to reseal it, used aquarium silicone to do so. 1 of the HOT filters was from a previous tank which had been cycled for a year, as was some of the decor. Some of the gravel is new as of when the tank was set up, some of it was out of a tank that had finished cycling about 3 months ago. About a week ago I started using p regulator in hopes of getting the tank to buffer ph better. So far it doesn't seem to be doing any good.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Mostly flakes, with some granules/pellets for the second feeding (of 3) of the day. No recent changes, they've all been fed the same types of food the whole time I've had them.

Thanks for all the info!! Ok, your aware your tank is beyond overstocked and I am not going to harp on this but you honestly need to consider what your plans are for these guys in the near future because this situation is going to is not going to end well the way it presently stands. Now, for some questions!

The ammonia alert is is not reliable. Do you have liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What do these read exactly right now? 25-30% water changes even daily will likely not keep up with the ammount of ammonia being produced by the fish present. I suspect your toxin levels are high with the present stocking and this is likely the biggest contributing factor here in addition to an unstable ph. I would start by increasing the water changes to atleast 50+% every other to every day to try and keep things under control. Please ask if you have questions!

I also wouldn't add any more salt. The fish don't need it, and it's an irritant to their skin (which is why they produce more slime coat - trying to get rid of the irritation).

Like jlk said, you have to do larger water changes. Every day. And even then, there are no guarantees with that many fish.

I don't have any ammonia test that read properly with amquel besides the card, the strips and api test kit use the wrong kind of reactant so read like the ammonia isn't detoxified. There's no lfs store near me, just chains, and from what I read on the Internet, the seachem cards are the only amquel compatible test any of the chains near me have. Plus the cards have always been workably accurate for me in the past, and they show the change in ammonia pretty quickly after the amquel goes in. They go from yellow to dark blue, with yellow being <.02ppm and green being .05ppm. Currently with the amquel it's a very faintly green shade of yellow.

Honestly I find the master test kit just as imprecise cos of the color ranges and how different the colors look depending on daylight or shade of lighting. And I've checked my 6in1 strips against the test kit&they've always agreed. Unfortunately I've got nothing to compare the ammonia against. I called all three local chains who do in store water testing. Petsmart had no idea what kind of reactant their ammonia test uses, didn't even know it mattered, and petco&pet supplies plus both said they use the wrong kind, the one that reads yellow to green not yellow to blue.

The nitrites&nitrates are being read via the master test kit tho, which reads nothing on both of them, as does a 6in1 test strip. Since amquel plus detoxifies nitrites&nitrates as well as ammonia, I'm not too worried about either of them having been the issue anyway.

Jlk-The plan is we're moving soon and getting a bigger tank after that. I had planned to split the fish between tanks once the big one was set up, but resealing it took longer than expected, so the fish had to share smaller tanks longer than expected, and like I wrote above, now they all just freak out if they're separated at all, even from the ones they weren't in the smaller tanks with.

Sharpchiq-The guy at the LFS store (back before it closed) said aquarium salt is good for their health (knowing I already had salt&wasn't buying more from them), and everything I've seen online says salt helps fish when they're stressed. Plus I only put like half as much as the box directions suggest. Is salt just purely bad for them? Where is this info from, and why does so much of the internet agree salt is helpful even for freshwater fish? Is it like fish in vs no fish cycling opinions?

What you have to realize with using the liquid ammonia tests such as API, is that a product such as Amquel or Prime will detox ammonia but it has limits. The effects are only temporary as in @24hrs and only suitable up to @1ppm of ammonia. Also realize that while ammonium is considerably less toxic than free ammonia, it is not healthy for fish either. Frequent water changes, big ones, are the best thing for your fish.

Jlk-The amquel plus bottle says it does 2ppm, and in the past few days the dosage I had been using for the past few weeks to get it to .05ppm has been getting it below .05, up til today when I'd say it's probably about .035 (faintly greenish yellow).

I've got no problem dosing it daily for a month while it cycles, that's what I've done in all my tanks, the first time out of cluelessness, thereafter cos it worked out fine before.

Everything I've read on ammonia detoxifiers says they make the ammonia perfectly safe for fish. How are they legally allowed to say that if it isn't true?

Jlk-The amquel plus bottle says it does 2ppm, and in the past few days the dosage I had been using for the past few weeks to get it to .05ppm has been getting it below .05, up til today when I'd say it's probably about .035 (faintly greenish yellow).

I've got no problem dosing it daily for a month while it cycles, that's what I've done in all my tanks, the first time out of cluelessness, thereafter cos it worked out fine before.

Everything I've read on ammonia detoxifiers says they make the ammonia perfectly safe for fish. How are they legally allowed to say that if it isn't true?

Your right- I havent used Amquel in long time and it says it works up to 2ppm but it does temporarily reduce oxygen levels, so just keep this in mind. These products do convert free, toxic ammonia to ammonium temporarily so them saying they make it safe for fish is true. Ammonia is highly toxic and dangerous even in low levels. Its just that longterm, you dont want your fish swimming in ammonium and water changes are the only way to actually remove ammonia/ammonium. With the issues you have had with a few fish, I would work on keeping it very low for both ammonia/ammonium.

As you have zero nitrite and nitrate, you likely are facing a long road for cycling this this tank, unfortunately. I do agree with Sharpchick as well that salt is not needed though it will help with nitrite poisoning as your nitrites start to rise. I would reduce the amount your using now by half. After the nitrite phase, I would stop using it altogether because its not necessary for healthy fw fish and may lead to further health problems down the road. Salt mythology abounds on the net despite science proving otherwise. Heres some more info on salt and cycling:

Salt | The Skeptical Aquarist

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-aquarium-salt-needed-227851.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Interesting. I'll do the math on what the current salt level roughly is, and reduce it via another water change if needed. Glad my fish don't freak out at water changes!

What info do you have on Fish Protector, which claims to increase slime coat with polymer colloids? http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/fish-protector
Is increasing slime coat during general stress a good thing? Or is it more useful just for fighting parasites&healing injuries?

Also, I think the nitrites are just reading low because of the amquel+.

Oh, and my tank is so ridiculously over oxygenated it's kinda funny. Besides the two files, I've got a 24 inch long bubbler running down the center of the tank, hooked up to both outputs of a 100 gallon air pump. Oxygen level is not something I worry about, nor have I seen any indications of oxygen deprivation in any of the fish.

I have a bottle somewhere. I dont think it does anything particularly special- its just a slime coat aid. A costly one, too, as you need to use alot of it (I think its something like a tsp or tbsp per 10g). The one thing with the Amquel Plus is that while it dechlorinates and detoxes, it does not have any any slime coat aids nor does it detox heavy heavy metals. It needs to be used in conjunction with Nova Aqua for these benefits. Nova Aqua and the fish protector are basically the same thing.

Your nitrites being low has nothing to do with the Amquel- either you have them or you dont. If you have them, they will show up on standard tests whether you use Amquel or not. Amquel just detoxes them temporarily. :)

Your nitrites being low has nothing to do with the Amquel- either you have them or you dont. If you have them, they will show up on standard tests whether you use Amquel or not. Amquel just detoxes them temporarily. :)

Agreed. Neither Prime or Amquel Plus remove ammonia, nitrite or nitrate - they detoxify it, and only for about 24 hours.

There is no substitute for water changes. With goldfish, that means LARGE water changes - at least half the tank volume. Doesn't matter if you've used Prime or Amquel - and don't get to feeling safe using them.

In your situation, that means large water changes daily.

The black spots you may see on some of your fish will be ammonia burns in the first stage of healing. When you have some free time, Google what ammonia does to fish gills.

Back
Top Bottom