Is Aquarium Salt Needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree aquarium salt is expensive and unnecessary but you can buy normal salt for $1 and I use that. Some fish benefit from it others don't.

The salt we use that you get from the grocery store is treated and bleached its not good for fish because of the chemicals used to treat it infact it isn't even good for us to use. The only salt I would suggest using that can be bought at non fish stores is the pure natural salts that have not been chemically treated or had additives put in it. But pure salts are probably more expensive than aquarium salt so I'd stick to what you get at the fish store plus it is made specifically for fish not human consumption our systems are completely different from fish so we shouldn't really be putting in something that was made for us to be pouring on French fries for example. If it doesn't sound right than it probably isn't. Aquarium salts are great at preventing different sicknesses in fish especially ich which is the most common. Even if you add less than what the directions say it still helps I've been using it in my tanks for a few months now and have not had an ich out break or any other sickness since I've been using it. It also helped with healing torn fins and missing scales a lot faster than normal, and it got rid of parasites on one of my fish.

So if you have freshwater fish, say neon tetra, you keep salt in the water full time? I've heard of salt water treatments for sick fish in a "hospital tank" for short periods of time but not full time. So just what are you guys talking about? Sorry if I come off as ignorant or annoying or off topic.

Lt. said:
So if you have freshwater fish, say neon tetra, you keep salt in the water full time? I've heard of salt water treatments for sick fish in a "hospital tank" for short periods of time but not full time. So just what are you guys talking about?

I use a very small amount all the time. I have Neon Tetras and they do fine with it. I usually do 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

vanimal said:
I use a very small amount all the time. I have Neon Tetras and they do fine with it. I usually do 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

Do they still act the same?

A small amount full time is fine I usually do like half what the directions tell you, even this amount will prevent illness and promote healing to any wounded fish and makes sure there are no infections in the process. Salt also makes colors more vibrant in fish some people will say that's not true but I think it is ever since I've been using it my dwarf gourami who was very dull red and blue became very brightly coloured and even got blue streaks on his cheeks. The fish act no different with the salt infact I find they love it every time I do a water change I throw the salt in and they go crazy for it they don't eat it just pick it up and spit it out.

PolyptRus said:
A small amount full time is fine I usually do like half what the directions tell you, even this amount will prevent illness and promote healing to any wounded fish and makes sure there are no infections in the process. Salt also makes colors more vibrant in fish some people will say that's not true but I think it is ever since I've been using it my dwarf gourami who was very dull red and blue became very brightly coloured and even got blue streaks on his cheeks. The fish act no different with the salt infact I find they love it every time I do a water change I throw the salt in and they go crazy for it they don't eat it just pick it up and spit it out.

I totally agree with you :)

Lt. said:
So now its a brackish tank, huh.

No. Its still fresh, like I said its a very small amount you wouldn't even be able to taste it in the water.

Agreed its not enough to be considered brackish water plus your only adding a bit of salt with every water change its not like every bit of salt you add is sticking around in your tank. All fish absorb salt into there body and this is good for them so probably by the time you change your water there is little to no salt actually left in the water.

Lt. said:
Oh, wow. So what exactly do u do? What do u use, ect. ect.

I use aquarium salt or pure salts from the grocery store or bulk store if I can't get to the fish store. And I only use salts with every water change or every other water change it really is up to you on how often you would like to use it. And I only add half the amount that the directions say which I beleive was one table spoon per every five gallons so I only do one table spoon per every ten gallons you won't use it up as fast. If I see a fish with wounds or what looks like a white spot I might add a bit more than usual. With salts it's really all up to you on how much or how often you would like to use it maybe you just want to use it to treat sick fish and that's fine too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom