10 gal. Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started my fish less cycle on my second 10 gal. I know about the cycles from making the mistakes and getting stuck in a fish in cycle with my first 10 gal. My question is: if I use old water from the other 10 gal. and seeded material will this help? Do I even need to cycle? I'm being cautious at the moment because I'm using the tank for my 14 guppy fry that I need to transfer out of my 1 gal. tank and I don't want to lose any to any cycling?

Thanks in advance!

For 14 small fry you could just do lots of water changes, but once they grow up they will definitely need a cycled tank. Water won't really help, but decor, gravel, or best of all, filter media from an established tank will definitely help. Also, IDK if you already know this, but I remember hearing someone say that fry need to be transferred in water when changing tanks, but that may be false.

For 14 small fry you could just do lots of water changes, but once they grow up they will definitely need a cycled tank. Water won't really help, but decor, gravel, or best of all, filter media from an established tank will definitely help. Also, IDK if you already know this, but I remember hearing someone say that fry need to be transferred in water when changing tanks, but that may be false.

Ok. That's what I thought. Like I said I do have seeded material from my other tanks(mostly gravel). I might transfer my old filter media over to the new tank.

On the subject of transfering fry, it's true they need to be transfered in water. I lost 2 batches with that mistake. My 14 fry are about 2 months old now so not sure if its fully necessary anymore.

Ok. That's what I thought. Like I said I do have seeded material from my other tanks(mostly gravel). I might transfer my old filter media over to the new tank.

I started a 10 on Friday using a couple rocks and ½" of gravel from my established tank. NH4 - .25; NO2 - .25; NO3 - 30. Put 3 wag tails in on Saturday.

ForumRunner_20130827_193133.jpg

I started a 10 on Friday using a couple rocks and ½" of gravel from my established tank. NH4 - .25; NO2 - .25; NO3 - 30. Put 3 wag tails in on Saturday.

This give me hope that it won't take too long.

I used old water from my 1 gal. and my 10gal. and gravel from both. Put it all together yesterday. As of today: 0 ammo, 20-40 NO3, .5-1 NO2. I'm going to give it a couple days before I start looking into putting fish in it.

This give me hope that it won't take too long.

I used old water from my 1 gal. and my 10gal. and gravel from both. Put it all together yesterday. As of today: 0 ammo, 20-40 NO3, .5-1 NO2. I'm going to give it a couple days before I start looking into Plainfield fish in it.

Auto-complete strikes again!

So as of today my ammo was at 0 my nitrites were at o and my nitrates were at 20. Going to check tomorrow. I'm thinking my BB has started dying. Thanks for the help and advice. Will be starting my full fish less cycle if tomorrow shows that nothing.

Glad to report no changes in my water learns. My tank is for the most part cycled... Giving it a couple days to process the nitrites before I add my fish.

Once again thanks or the help

Back
Top Bottom