10 GAL. w/ Betta/Tiger Barbs/ Siamese Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zealous27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just introduced 3 Tiger Barbs, and 2 Siamese Algae Eaters to my Betta's 10 GL. tank. Seems that everybody is getting along just fine after a day of feeling each other out. They also seem to enjoy the new coral decoration I got them. My girlfriend and I enjoy watching them figure out the areas they like to hang out/play in. Here's a video, tell me what you think!

My Freshwater Community Tank

:fish2::fish1::popcorn::lol:

update!

After two days, everything seems to be evened out, as far as the power struggle goes in their little world.

The Betta (Apollo) is not intimidated at all; yesterday, he was often kicking anyone out who dares enter the shelter he was using at that particular time. The Barbs would follow him from time to time with curiosity, but were more interested in nipping at each other than him.

The two Siamese Algae Eaters mind their own business. If you watch in the video, I have glass oblong.."things" (with rounded edges for safety (y)) decorating the bottom of the tank in the substrate. These glass blobs are about the length and diameter of the algae eaters, and each one has a different colored streak in them. The Algae Eaters tend to blend in so well, I often have trouble finding them. They insist on diligence in their cleaning schedule during feeding time.:hide: However when i do see them, they seem happy and content. I enjoy watching them clean every nook and cranny, and honestly think the water cleared up a bit, which is hopefully not just my imagination.

The Barbs are another story. They were like a day time soap opera every time I looked at them the first day. All day, trying to establish some sort of pecking order; who was swimming with who, frantic feeding which was a fun change from my hippie Betta languidly reaching for a pellet while the rest fall behind him.

A funny part of the day was when I thought there would be a confrontation. I noticed the larger of the three Barbs coming in for a closer look at Apollo. Apollo was minding his business, and this Barb wanted to try to muscle in. Apollo turned, and did nothing but look at him. The Barb intimidated by the Siamese fighting fish stare, turned away. They decided to go as a group, which I'm sure stressed Apollo at the time, but to my relief they decided they would have nothing to do with him. Other than a friendly hello as they pass by each other, they ignore each other. This was a relief to me.

The VERY best part of the day was watching their dynamic during feeding. I opened the feeding slot to give the barbs their food first. I have them on a diet of tropical flakes, and the occasional bloodworms. They of course were acting manic as if they just realized they would implode if they didn't get to the food first. As they were doing this, Apollo was waiting his turn patiently next to them. When they finished Apollo then came over, and received his dinner of Omega pellets. He will occasionally eat brine shrimp as well, as soon as I get another sea monkey kit, but for now, he has flakes too.

Today, everything seemed to even out. The Barbs have found small current in the air stone, as well as near the top where the filter overflows. They swim for awhile then find a shelter and rest. The larger of the three still seemed to be bullying the other two this morning, but (and I found this entertaining) the two smaller ones started to defend each other. As of tonight, everyone is swimming together harmoniously.

I'm hoping everyone will be able to stay peaceful, because the dynamic in the community is really fun to watch. I figured a smaller tank with fake plants would become boring because of the easier care, but its turning out that I'm enjoying sitting in front of them for 20 minutes at a time, trying to analyze their behavior. I am a novice with ambitions of owning a really well thought out reef tank someday, but there is much to learn, and for now I think these guys will be a fun reintroduction into the hobby I enjoyed so much as a kid.

As a note feel free to provide any advice you might have about the community, as I'm all ears. I really want to become deeper involved in this hobby, because its a great stress reliever, and being in the military, its really one of the only pets I can have. If anyone would like more pictures, or anything specific, I'd be glad to provide!

Question

One thing I do have to ask, is how long should I be running the filter? I currently run it around 12 hours a day, give or take an hour or two. I turn it off at night as well as the light.

Should the air stone remain on? I've had it running the whole time, is this preferred? The tank is long, so the Betta can get away from current as he pleases.

Last question is about night time lighting. I took a piece of blue transparent plastic, and used it as a lens on a small led light I have, from a small Betta tank. I'll post pics, but this gives the tank low "moonlight" lighting. It looks great, and seems to be ample light to get around, but also to retreat to a dark shelter or plant for sleep. It also makes a great nightlight for trips to the bathroom.:lol: Thanks for your views and responses!

Sorry if this isnt what your gonna wanna hear...
The barbs and Berta dont belong together at all, tiger barbs are way too nippy
The tiger barbs need at least a school of 6 to be happy
the tiger barbs also needv29+ gallons they are very active
Siamese algae eaters also need a bigger tank

You need to be running the filter all the time

Sorry if that was harsh but I'm just looking out for the best interest of the fish :)

Well I can move the Betta back to my small Betta tank temporarily, and get a 40 Gal, to get a couple more barbs, I'm just hoping not to get ahead of myself. Also if the barbs get out of hand, or look stressed, I have every intention of taking them back. I felt like the girl at the store was full of it, but trusted her against my judgement, and research. I do not plan on making anything harder for these fish to deal with.

will do! You know I've been told so many things. Just want to get it right,hoping I found what I need here!

Definitely keep the filter running.
And yes, 10gallons is quite small for the fish.
Tiger barbs are a schooling fish that lime to be in groups of 6ish.
But from your previous observations I think you know what your doing. Grabbing a 40gallon would be perfect.
Feel free to ask any questions.

I would suggest taking barbs back or larger tank for them and keep betta in 10 gallon you see very quickly they do much better in a larger tank and if you really want tank mates get a few small schooling fish like neon tetras and maybe a couple snails as well just stay away from anything with a lot of fins or fin nippers betta will attack anything that he think is another betta

When I was a newbie I had 5 tiger barbs in a ten gallon but I didn't realize how big they got and also had to donate them
To my fish store because they were tearing up each others fins after a short time. I especially don't think they should be with a Betta. I'm sorry :( Can u take them and the algae eaters back and get some neons or something a little more peaceful?? And some dwarf Corys or ghost or cherry shrimp

*sigh*

Even though I'm not really seeing any aggression, I don't want fish in this tank getting any bigger. I suppose I'll be taking the barbs back in the next day or two, and replacing them with tetras. The girl at the pet store could use a stern talking to about her fish knowledge as well. At least I haven't gotten attached to them yet.

On the other hand I was hoping to keep at least one algae eater. I imagine that is what you meant by snails, but would one siamese eater really be that bad? they seem to be getting along just fine, very peaceful. If I can't I can take them back too, and just start a 40 or 50 Gal. later on after I return from Afghanistan. And yes there will be someone to take care of Apollo while I'm gone.

Maybe I just jumped into it a little quickly. I'm sure others here have had the same excitement of trying to learn something, all too quickly. I really appreciate everyone's advice though.

<o)))>< ><(((o>

only the betta will work in a ten
edit:i should of read more than just the first page:facepalm:

We have all made these mistakes ;) me probably the most lol!! Try some drawf Cory cats they are bottom feeders and snails are the busiest algae eaters I have ever seen! Lol

Update #2

After watching the barbs relentless curiosity with Apollo, I decided to take them back. In exchange I purchased 6 tetra, and two black mystery snails which are much more charming than I anticipated. Things seem to be going ok.

The Siamese Algae Eaters, against the judgement of some of you, are still in the tank. I really like them, but if it becomes necessary to give them to a better home, I will.

I'll post pictures soon. Also, I restocked on prime dechlorinator, a vacation tablet, bloodworms, and a PH leveling kit.

Lets see how this new family plays out. :popcorn::blink:

Zealous27 said:
After watching the barbs relentless curiosity with Apollo, I decided to take them back. In exchange I purchased 6 tetra, and two black mystery snails which are much more charming than I anticipated. Things seem to be going ok.

The Siamese Algae Eaters, against the judgement of some of you, are still in the tank. I really like them, but if it becomes necessary to give them to a better home, I will.

I'll post pictures soon. Also, I restocked on prime dechlorinator, a vacation tablet, bloodworms, and a PH leveling kit.

Tetras and snails are much better :D The algae eaters should be ok for a little while if they are small

Rate of growth in about any creature is impacted by the size of the confinement. With 10 gallons it should be quite a slow pace. They won't be skyrocketing out of control anytime soon.

new pics!

I have some new pics of the new inhabitants who seem to be getting along swimmingly. I also moved things around a bit for some more cover on the sides, as well as a little more swimming room. My stock list now is as follows:

1 Betta (Apollo)
6 Neon Tetra
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Black Mystery Snails

img_1484951_0_7f0f4d064184002cc89f10f77418a5d3.jpg

Full tank shot, decorations moved a bit...

img_1484951_1_7d3cb4ead7b30be88e512397c8940ad7.jpg

Main resident Apollo having a chat with a wayward tetra. He really doesn't bother them at all

img_1484951_2_a75ed34f05b952c6667d50b042aa2094.jpg

One of my Siamese Algae Eaters hanging out in the glass decorations that act as great camo for them to go about their business

img_1484951_3_da5bbcb4ff28c9648944957373603fb6.jpg

Black mystery snails in fake goniopora. Two dark spots are them, I'll try for better pictures later of them. They are pretty cool.

img_1484951_4_9e3e3f152fa1732df15424be51493319.jpg

I think these guys are a perfect fit for this tank. I really wasn't sure about them. I thought they (and the snails) would be boring, but there actually cool too. I think this is how I'll keep this tank, and once deployment is over, I'll move onto something bigger.

Also I mentioned before that I took a small LED light from an old Betta one Gal. kit. I then cut out some blue plastic, and taped it over the light. Works as a great night light. Picture doesn't really do it much justice. I also bought some glow in the dark plants, and put them under where this light shines down. It gives the tank a nice moonlight glow. I'll eventually be getting the marineland led setup, or just blue led strips from an auto center.

img_1484951_5_0c49471a1bf1d19a31cd8f407297fedb.jpg

Pretty simple, fits right behind other light

img_1484951_6_e42c380929f887c7e6ca033edf56ed83.jpg

like I said pic could be better, but I like the way it turned out

I'm happy with how things turned out, and the fish seem content! :dance:

Zealous27 said:

Nice tank!

If you can upgrade in four to six months them you can definitely keep the SAE. :)

Unless your pH is fluctuating ridiculously or you have really high or low pH you should be fine without pH leveler.

Back
Top Bottom