10 gallon aquarium fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shell0425

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am new to owning an aquarium and would really like some advise. Have a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium that is cycled(fishless) with live plants and ready to start putting fish in it. Just wanted to get some opinions how to stock it. Using 10 gallon due to space constraints and husband not even wanting to have one. This was our compromise. I know I am limited and can't put many fish in it. The water conditions are as follows: nitrate, nitrite, chlorine, ammonia = 0; ph=6.8; temp=75; alkalinity = 80ppm; hardiness = 75ppm. Ph, alkalinity, and hardiness numbers are what my tap water is naturally. Don't really want to mess with this stuff unless I have to when fish are in it. I am trying to stick to fish that will be ok with how my tap water is naturally since that is what I will be using for water changes. I do not really want guppies or tetra. I was thinking some kind of combo with sparkling gourami's, platy, rasbora, or danio. I really like the look of harlequin rasbora. Anyone with fish experience, please give me some ideas. Thank You.

:welcome: to the forum!

Harlequin rasbora sadly need a 20 gallon as they are incredibly active and need lots of space. Chili rasbora are a smaller rasbora that you could put in the 10. Celestial Pearl Danios are also good smaller fish.

How did you cycle it? DId you add ammonia or another ammonia source? You should have some nitrates if you did a proper fishless cycle.

I cycled it by using gravel from a friends parents established aquarium. They have had the aquarim set up for 20 years. I waited for the ammonia to spike and then I took it out. I did a partial water change after that because the water was cloudy. I wonder if that is where I went wrong. I guess I will just start over. Glad there was no fish in it yet. I did more research and found what you are talking about. Is there a better way to cycle it?

:thanks:

Most likely you removed alot of the BB by taking the gravel out. It needs to stay in the tank for a few weeks after the cycle completes so it can seed the rest of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom