10 gallon coldwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok everybody!
heres the problem, i have this blue crayfish that is getting bigger as we speak and i have him in a 29 gallon warmwater tank, and he took quite a large portion of one of my fishes fins so i asked other ppl on the forum they said move it to a 10 gallon, so i am and they also said it could be cold water becasue they like it or sumthing, so i am going to put it in my bedroom,

my question is
1.) Can i just take some sand outa my 29 gallon, put it in the 10 and put like one of my decorations in there becasue it has the NO2 and NO3 right? i wanted to know if it would work or what i need to do :)

2.) i want to keep some fishies with him (coldwater) is there any you suggest? i want to keep goldfish but i heard that they have some chemical that makes otehr sick fish. can anyone comfirm? but i am looking into it, unless there are any other suggestions? i am going to have sand in there so any coldwater fish that can go with mr. crayfish, but i really want to get goldfish, like comets (i love them there so cool and simple :) )

The sand isn't really going to transfer anything. It doesn't have the same effect that gravel does. You can transfer some over, but it really won't effect the cycle of the new tank. The decor will help some. Your best bet would be to take some of the filter media and transfer it over to the 10 gal tank.

1. Yes, crays are very hardy and will adapt to anything.

2. Any fish you put in there will be eaten, unless they are big enough to eat the cray.

However, I keep two in with my oscars, and the most thats happened is the crays have lost a few legs.

HTH

wow i dunno, i want to keep goldfishies! cuz there so active, i wonder if i can keep an oscar temp. in a 10 gallon while its young and christmas i am going to get a 75E gallon tank so any thoughts idears? i mean there has to be somthing i can keep with it!

ok ok, i was just seeing. lol how big do they grow? and what are their tankmates? an can they be bred?
but please anyone can they point me in the right direction? mabe a tank divider?

hmm, yeah that does sound good, but my grandma would have a fit. how large should it be? and what do i need?

oh and on a second note, krap where did you get da avatar! i want one like a tiger soooo bad! lol

also what about the goldfish idea? i mean i really dont care about him catching a common goldfish, cuz there only 28 cents but im worried about how it would go wiht my crayfish?

ok, for one, the the sand doesn't "have NO2 and NO3" The bacteria that grow in the tank CONVERT Ammonia to Nitrite adn then Nitrate. As someone said, your filter media is the best source of this bacteria.

Second, a 10 gallon is too small to keep any big fish, and any fish that would fit in a 10 gallon will be eaten by the crayfish. Crayfish , so ive heard, are best kept alone and will eat anything they can get to.

in my opinion, just because a goldfish only costs 28 cents doesnt make it okay for you to buy it knowing it will be killed.

why not just be happy with your pet crayfish? why does he need something else in the tank?

also what about the goldfish idea? i mean i really dont care about him catching a common goldfish, cuz there only 28 cents but im worried about how it would go wiht my crayfish?

goldfish would be fine then, just don't tell too many people when they eat them,
some tend to be very opinionated as far as cruelty to fish goes..

Crayfish are for species only tanks. A 29 gallon would be able to house a single goldfish but it would be a bit cramped, of course the crayfish will eat it. A 10 gallon with a crayfish is full. Coldwater stills means stable temp by the way, so a heater is needed to make sure temp doesn't drop too low.

All goldfish reach 6-10" (except feeders) therefore not a good idea for a 10 gal. Why do you want it to be coldwater? Not every fish will be eaten by crayfish. For example, hatchetfish stay near the top of the water and out of reach for the crayfish. Just make sure you don't have anything like tall plants it can climb to reach them.

HTH

in my opinion, just because a goldfish only costs 28 cents doesnt make it okay for you to buy it knowing it will be killed.

Its the food chain, smaller things get eaten by bigger things and it goes on and on. Crayfish are predatory and live fish are part of its diet.

Feeder guppies would be a better idea than feeder goldfish. Plus many goldfish reach greater lengths than 10 inches. Of course not in a 10 gallon.

It isn't cruel to feed another fish to a creature. That is fine, but adding a potential giant to a small tank is a bad idea. Smaller feeder fish would be a better option in case they do live.

Of course a crayfish will eat anything you give so fish isn't needed as part of the diet or even a really good idea, but that is your call.

ok yeah i hear you all, ok here are my thoughts, all i wanted is some feeder fish, and i wanted to know if i could use a tank divider? so it would be split so 5 gallons to mr. crayfish and 5 gallons to 1 feeder goldfish (im going to try to get one from the heathyest tank i can) anyone got any opinions on that? just i thought that someone told me that goldfish produce chemicals that are toxic to other tropical species.

5 gallons isn't going to be enough room for a full grown crayfish really. And a feeder goldfish in a 5 gallon tank is cruel. They can seriously get to be well over a foot long if given the chance.

5 gallons isn't going to be enough room for a full grown crayfish really. And a feeder goldfish in a 5 gallon tank is cruel. They can seriously get to be well over a foot long if given the chance.

I agree with you. Feeder guppies are much better, common goldfish get up to 24"

Crayfish are also great climbers. Unless the divider is made of glass or solid plastic, the crayfish would scale it in no time.

I wouldn't put goldfish in with the crayfish because they are messy fish that have the potential to grow very large. If you really want some tankmates for your crayfish, you could try whitecloud minnows. Like goldfish, they can survive the cooler temps that crayfish do best in - but be forewarned that the crayfish will most likely catch and eat the minnows eventually.

Back
Top Bottom