10 Gallon FO - Need Powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend of mine is interested in setting up a 10 gallon SW tank. He plans on a Fish Only tank with a DSB no greater than 4". He has a 100GPH Power filter with bio-wheel. He's interested in keeping only a pair of clowns.

After sand displacement, the tank probably holds somewhere between 8.5 and 9 gallons of water. The power filter alone is giving a water turnover rate of ~10. He also has a MaxiJet 300 lying around. It takes up space in the small tank, is it necessary or should he use that to mix SW rather than buy a new one for that purchase?

I have a pengiun 330 on a 20g. fresh and the turnover rate I would think would be comparable. For just a pair of clowns i would think it would be plenty. HTH.
R-

I think the powerfilter will be fine, however, if he is going to use a DSB and possibly LR or base rock, he can remove the cartridge and just use it for flow and use the cartidges occasionally for carbon and water polishing. He should be able to use the power head for mixing water.

Back
Top Bottom