10 Gallon planted Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got a 15watt 18in 8000k bulb above my 10 gallon (Which I know isn't enough).

But I can't buy another light yet because I have little money atm. And my 5 gallon tank is gettin' over ran by my hornwort. I don't feel like just throwing some plants out so I was wondering if I just floated the hornwort in my 10 gallon aquarium (no fish in it yet) That it could still grow because it's close enough to the bulb with a light give out thing (8000k)

I haven't had hornwort, but I would give it a try. It should be fine up close to the light like you said. If your 5 gallon is getting overrun with it, then taking some out should be no problem - meaning it won't hurt the 5 gallon to remove some. If the hornwort doesn't do well in the 10 gallon tank then it sounds like it's growing fast enough in the 5 gallon that you'd have all you needed again.

I haven't had hornwort, but I would give it a try. It should be fine up close to the light like you said. If your 5 gallon is getting overrun with it, then taking some out should be no problem - meaning it won't hurt the 5 gallon to remove some. If the hornwort doesn't do well in the 10 gallon tank then it sounds like it's growing fast enough in the 5 gallon that you'd have all you needed again.

K thanks just needed someone elses insurence for me to actually do it lol :silly:

Hornwort would probably grow in the dark ;) You should be fine. Floating such a plant (also, say, Anacharis) or even stems is a good way to get past a cycle or the early stages of a 'scape, when plant density is low.

Hornwort would probably grow in the dark ;) You should be fine. Floating such a plant (also, say, Anacharis) or even stems is a good way to get past a cycle or the early stages of a 'scape, when plant density is low.

Awesome thanks, yeah the hornwort got to out of control but now It looks more like a bush and I like it. I'll be posting new pictures soon so you should totally start checkin out my 5 gallon planted log.

And anyways even if it is only 15watts it is putting off 8000k not just 5500k or something so it just be good.

Back
Top Bottom