10 gallon planted - Time to restart!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One last thing. I was going to purchase a needle valve but apparently it doesn't need one. Is this right? If you have this, did you need to buy a needle valve?

Did you order the aquatek mini? Yes, it does have a needle valve. Not the most accurate but works fine.

Ok guys, I switched the sand out for gravel and I'm working on the PPS Pro right now. I made a bit of a newb mistake and dosed for a 1 liter bottle in a 500 ml bottle, but I'm fixing it right now. I'll keep you posted!

Alright, I fixed the mistake by adding 1000 ml to a milk jug (empty) and then added the dry chemicals to it. I'm letting it dissolve in there, and then in the morning I'll pour it back into the 500 ml bottle to dose. I also finished the micro mixture, so tomorrow I'll get the pressurized co2 hooked up and then I'll be ready!

I'm glad to have gotten a break from school, because we got 6 inches of snow already, and in NC that means schools will be shut down for... meh, a week or so. :D I'm not complaining. So between that and a lull in homework I'll have time to order:
- Crypt Parva
- Crypt Wendtii 'mi oya'
- Vallisneria Spiralis
- Staurogyne repens
My old plan was to have the ludwigia, wisteria, cabomba, val, and bacopa in the back, with one crypt mi oya in the middle and staurogyne repens on the right with crypt parva on the left, and a small blank spot in the middle (maybe I'll add a small rock there). Instead, I'm ditching the bacopa (it's too close to the ludwigia anyway) and having two mi oyas, one near the left side of the tank, and one right next to it, near the middle. It should be better, more suited to the golden ratio anyway. Any concerns?

Oh, do vals really only grow to the height of the tank?

I siliconed a suction cup to the nano diffuser last night. I got ripped off, the diffuser didn't come with it's own suction cup, but I had some lying around, so I fixed it! :D

By sunday night it will be completely dry and ready to use. Then I'll order the plants, and plant. Then add ammonia to see if it is completely cycled (and completely cycle it, if not, but the filter was seeded), and once it is I will add fish!!!

I'm planning on a stock of:
8 CPDs
10 chili rasboras
1 honey gourami.

I installed the diffuser, and it is running at 1 bubble per 3 seconds. Is this good? I just installed the co2 monitor and it is at dark green right now but it has only been in for a minute and the co2 has been running for just 5 minutes. How long does it take to get an accurate reading?

Also, do you all think that a phosphate test kit is absolutely necessary? And if so, which do you recommend?

I installed the diffuser, and it is running at 1 bubble per 3 seconds. Is this good? I just installed the co2 monitor and it is at dark green right now but it has only been in for a minute and the co2 has been running for just 5 minutes. How long does it take to get an accurate reading?

I would increase the co2 level a bit. I run 1bps on my 10g tank.

Also, do you all think that a phosphate test kit is absolutely necessary? And if so, which do you recommend?

A phosphate kit isnt completely necessary but it isn't a bad idea either. the API test is good enough for your application.

I would increase the co2 level a bit. I run 1bps on my 10g tank.

A phosphate kit isnt completely necessary but it isn't a bad idea either. the API test is good enough for your application.

Okay, I'll increase it. I need to leave it running non-stop right?

And I might get the API kit, I just want to wait for other opinions first. SHOULD I get it? Is it that important, or is it only an accessory?

Ok I ordered:
- Hydrocotyle sp. Japan (worried about growing this one)
- Crypt Parva
- Crypt Undulata
- Hygro Corymbosa 'compact'
- Staurogyne Repens (this one has a long ship all the way from Ireland. Will it survive?)

Any tips on growing any of them?

I find phosphate test good for nailing down algae causes or dialing in for max growth.

Well I really haven't had any algae issues recently, and I don't think I'll need maximum growth because I don't want to trim too often. I might get it if I get an algae breakout.

Ok I ordered:
- Hydrocotyle sp. Japan (worried about growing this one)
- Crypt Parva
- Crypt Undulata
- Hygro Corymbosa 'compact'
- Staurogyne Repens (this one has a long ship all the way from Ireland. Will it survive?)

Any tips on growing any of them?

I can only comment on the C. parva and star repens. I also have a Finnex FugeRay on a 20g long, PPS Pro, using DIY CO2. The parva is a slow grower and when I had it I was running a dual t5 no with no CO2 at the time; growth was slow to non-existent so I removed it :(
The star repens should do well with you setup. At the base of most stems are a pair of side shoots. I usually trim just above those and replant the cut stem. Roots will form beneath and above the substrate on the newly planted stem in about a week. This opens up light for the side shoots to fill out and grow. I let some of the star repens grow too tall and after I trimmed it down it was real thin and patchy. I filled in a few spots with trimmings and will let the rest fill in on its own. I got mine locally from one of the Topfin gel pack tissue cultures from Petsmart.

I can only comment on the C. parva and star repens. I also have a Finnex FugeRay on a 20g long, PPS Pro, using DIY CO2. The parva is a slow grower and when I had it I was running a dual t5 no with no CO2 at the time; growth was slow to non-existent so I removed it :(
The star repens should do well with you setup. At the base of most stems are a pair of side shoots. I usually trim just above those and replant the cut stem. Roots will form beneath and above the substrate on the newly planted stem in about a week. This opens up light for the side shoots to fill out and grow. I let some of the star repens grow too tall and after I trimmed it down it was real thin and patchy. I filled in a few spots with trimmings and will let the rest fill in on its own. I got mine locally from one of the Topfin gel pack tissue cultures from Petsmart.

Thank you for the advice! I just hope that the parva will grow, that is what I was most worried about.

So some of the plants should come in tomorrow, I don't know exactly which ones though. I've noticed increased growth on the wisteria especially, and a bit on the cabomba and ludwigia. By the way, my wisteria doesn't look like anything I've ever seen! The top leaves look like dwarf hygro, but the bottom leaves look just like normal. Very weird!

Well my crypt parva, crypt undulata, hygrophila corymbosa, and staurogyne repens came in today. Now I'm just waiting on the hydrocotyle japan. Since my planting skills are horrific at best, it didn't turn out great, but I'm hoping it will settle in tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom