10 Gallon Riverbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowboardHull

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. New here. Names Chris :)

I bought my first aquarium earlier in the week and i'm going to set it up properly tomorrow. I'm aiming for a tropical river theme. Was just wondering if anyone could help me with ideas, stocking etc and provide pictures of similar setups for some inspiration?

Thanks

Chris

Welcome to AA! Some Pygmy Cories would look great! What other fish are you into?

I like the little neons I think they look pretty cool. Maybe a cherry shrimp or 2. Was looking at a betta aswell!

In a ten gallon your options are extremely limited. Tetras, small Cory catfish, bettas, platies, guppies, etc. go to liveaquaria.com and get some ideas there. You can look in the nano fish section and narrow the results down to 10 gallons minimum. Do you plan on having plants and if so what kind? You'll also need to start planning your supplies and any inverts you want to get

Thanks Chiroptera that I think is what I have been aiming for. Just need a little help/advice on aquascaping too. Daunts me a little. As does testing the water. I got the API master kit and had a little go with it in some tap water. Confuses me a little.

I will post some when I get everything done. Hopefully tomorrow. May sound odd but.... if I goto the beach and take a few bags of sand and wash it. Would it be ok for freshwater if well washed through?

That can be tricky. If you just go to a hardware store (like Lowes, Home Depot, etc) you can get pool filter sand, play sand, or construction/ all purpose sand for $5 - for a 50 pound bag.

Im in the UK so if I do the math thats roughly £2.50 for 22KG? I think :) Not a bad deal really and I assume will be alot better for the tank and future fish? Is there any difference or any specific type you would recommend?

This should help you out: Ten Gallon fish Tank Stocking Suggestions

There are obviously way more options but that should point you in the right spot.

You need to either be careful with how many fish you add or be very dedicated to testing your water and doing water changes. A 10 gal is not alot of water and ammonia will rise very quickly.

No you won't be able to have the cories. You can have a betta and 6 neons, but cory cats need schools of six or more to be happy and cramming all those fish in such a small space will cause a lot of problems and no one will be happy. If only people would treat cory catfish like they were fish and not invertebrates...

Bettafanatic said:
No you won't be able to have the cories. You can have a betta and 6 neons, but cory cats need schools of six or more to be happy and cramming all those fish in such a small space will cause a lot of problems and no one will be happy. If only people would treat cory catfish like they were fish and not invertebrates...

You could easily fit 4-6 pygmy Cories in that tank. Were not treating them like invertebrates because they only get to be under an inch. Your suggesting six neons yet their recommended for 20g+ ?! they will do fine in that tank.

Neons are usually recommended for 10 gallons. Of course, the bigger the better but they can live comfortably. It was suggested that he get only 2 cories, and having 6 neons, 6 cories, and a betta is pretty cramped in a ten gallon. They can live in a 10 gallon but there wouldn't be enough room.

I have a question- in reading the article, I was wondering what this fish is. I'm posting a picture of it.
Thank you!

Attachments

• image-1484450007.jpg
    image-1484450007.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 69
If you get guppies you won't be able to have a betta because bettas will attack anything with long fins. But I'm still not sure if I'm right or not so wait for other opinions.

I have a 37 gallon tank with 4 platy's, 2 blood fin Tetra and a pleco.
My tank is so empty lol I want something colorful.
I have a 5 gallon tank with 20+, 5 week old platy fry. How many more fish can I add?

JerseyGirl1385 said:
I have a 37 gallon tank with 4 platy's, 2 blood fin Tetra and a pleco.
My tank is so empty lol I want something colorful.
I have a 5 gallon tank with 20+, 5 week old platy fry. How many more fish can I add?

You need to make your own thread really. :)

Back
Top Bottom