10 Gallon Saltwater Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plan to do any more rock? Cheap base rock will do. It'll get populated now with the rest of it and be live rock by the end of your cycle.

I did a 50% PWC a few days ago and the ammonia is still at (at least) 8.0 ppm!

Do you think that this is so high that it might actually slow the cycle down?

I can either just leave it and let nature take its course, or I could do a huge water change and try to get it down to a reasonable level.

they say use 1lb minimum of live per gallon of tank size, 8.0 PPM is so high, wow. I just finished my cycle :p it takes alot of time, are you using a bacteria booster?

When cycling my 55G tank, my ammonia was off the charts, past 9ppm. After i did two 45% water changes within two days, the ammonia was down to only 8ppm. So.. i decided to let it do its job and run its course. 5 Days later i had no ammonia, and my nitrites were already dropping considerably.

Do at least one more water change(preferably 45-50%) and then i would consider just letting it do its job and finish the cycle without changing the water. You would be surprised at how little time the cycle usually takes. People always say a cycle could take anywhere from 1 week to 2 months, but so far, i've never seen anyone have a cycle for more than two weeks. So just let it sit and see what you come up with.

yea zer0 is right i only have a 20g but my ammonia never went past 1ppm but i never let it get to high due to the fact i had a fish. but after a few weeks and the addittion of 20 lbs of live rock. My tank levels have been very stable.

Did a ~60% water change and now the ammonia is maybe 6 ish? Definitely less than 8 finally :cool:

Now it's just a waiting game, might pick up some more LR if I can find some locally.

Is this the dreaded Aiptasia? Sorry, I know the picture sucks, but it looks like a funnel of little white fingers.

img_1088918_0_ab7780f6069ff93e3e9d19bc0f9c97fd.jpg

So the shrimp is doing a great job of producing ammonia, but it's starting to REALLY stink. I don't think I can put up with this for another 2 or 3 weeks.

Now I've heard of people just using pure ammonia to cycle freshwater tanks, but for some reason none of the saltwater articles mention it. Could I do that instead?
How many shrimp did you add? I'm hoping one small shrimp! Try moving it to a high flow area.

The post above is a late post...sorry,
The picture looks like a featherduster.

Day 11:
Ammonia is down to ~3 ppm.
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but the Nitrite test doesn't appear to be quite the same bright blue zero that it normally is. I'm thinking/hoping there will be a measurable number tomorrow.

Day 12:
Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrite: 0.25

Also, I've spotted a second Feather Duster near the first one.

:cool:

Based on recommendations from here and other places, I ordered a few things from J&L Aquatics that arrived in less than 24 hours!

img_1090003_0_02e63f696dfa7f4c1ab9231dda3ab432.jpg

img_1090003_1_64f57ded199166ceb6dfe264b2e6a160.jpg

As you can see on the box, the powerhead came with a deflector attachment to aid in surface agitation. It's huge and ugly and I don't like it, but this is just in there for current so I should be fine without it yes?

My HOB seems to be creating bubbles in the tank and it never used to. Any idea what's causing this/how to fix it?

Day 13
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 1.0

Cycle seems to be going good
smile.gif
. My only concern is that I might not be able to find a fish right away after the cycle is complete. Would I have to add an ammonia source to keep it cycled?

Now that we're getting really close to buying livestock, I have a few stocking questions.

My plan is pretty simple, a Clownfish and a Firefish. If possible I would also like to get a couple Hermit Crabs and a couple snails. Are these compatible, should I acquire them in a certain order?

Back
Top Bottom