10 gallon startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fsuguy92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I had a 10 gallon tank years ago and just decided to get another. Don't remember much anymore, but I went out and got a kit from Petsmart and figured it'd be a fun hobby.

Few quick questions however:
1)Got everything started and used "safestart" so that I could get some fish in as quickly as possible. I was told that the x-ray tetras were a good starter fish. After getting 4 of them home and in the tank I learned they actually need a bigger tank and should be in groups of 5 or more. So... are the 4 tetras I have an okay way to start off? Or what do you recommend?

2) I 'd like to have as many colorful/exotic looking fish as possible. I'm in college and it'd be cool to have people walk in my room and say "WHOA COOL!". Any interesting/weird/large fish you could recommend to put in the 10 gal?

Any other advice would be awesome!!

Thanks!

It's debatable with the tetras in a 10 gal. They get to be about 2" and are fairly active so they'd probably prefer a larger tank. Can you return them?

In a 10 gal you're pretty limited to what you can have. For more options I'd try to upgrade to at least a 20 gal.

For a 10 gal you could do (if you returned the tetras):
--a single betta OR
-- a shoal of 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (They aren't always easy to find though) OR
--3 guppies OR
--2 platy

Also your tank is still cycling. You might want to read these links to learn how to keep your fish safe. The bacteria starters are hit-and-miss and often don't work:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

One great white shark and two whales. And mabey a dolphin. They would get people rathe amazed. Jk anyway i would go with different assortment mabey acouple apple snails, kulhi loach, albino cory, and some zebra danio to occupy the top and a big school of neon tetras to tie the whole tank together. Also a black backround with real easy to grow nice plants such as amazon sword, wisteria, hornwort, moss balls, and mabey java moss. Would look great with the tetras. Also if you wanna go this route make sure to have sand as a substrate

Back
Top Bottom