10 gallon stocking. Any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon guppy tank that I want to redo and I was thinking of putting my clown pleco, a knight goby, swordtail, and a molly. Would this tank stocking be okay or would it be overstocked or would there be any problems with the dragon goby since I read they are territorial?

It's been a while since I've tried anything new so I kind of forgot all the "rules" for stocking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not a good mix for that tank. All the fish get way to big or active. Would you like some help doing something with comparable fish maybe?

Basically I want to do an aquascape in a 10 gallon but I don't want guppies in he tank cause I've gotten bored of them.

Basically I want to do an aquascape in a 10 gallon but I don't want guppies in he tank cause I've gotten bored of them.

Oh! Now there I can help. What type of scape are you trying to compliment? That can be some serious fun. I mean, its a ten gallon so you have a lot of neat options.

Oh! Now there I can help. What type of scape are you trying to compliment? That can be some serious fun. I mean, its a ten gallon so you have a lot of neat options.

I was thinking of doing a black sand substrate with some driftwood either as a centre piece or as side decor and the only plant I currently have planned to add is an amazon sword plant.

I'm also starting to lean towards the tank having bright colourful fish (that aren't guppies) so I'm not really sure where to go with stocking (I already have a clown pleco in the tank which is like to keep in)

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is... the clown is actually beyond what should be in a 10 gallon. They have a huge bioload and get 5 or 6 inches long.

Is it young? Is it a regular 10 or a long?

The pleco is young. Also the tank is a regular 10

The clown pleco bioload will really limit what you can put into that tank.
Colorful, non-guppy fish include: Ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, micro rasboras

The clown pleco bioload will really limit what you can put into that tank.
Colorful, non-guppy fish include: Ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, micro rasboras

Do you know how many celestial pearl danios I'd be able to put in the tank with the pleco. The tank will be pretty heavily planted with a single price of driftwood that's about a foot long as a centrepiece.

Do you know how many celestial pearl danios I'd be able to put in the tank with the pleco. The tank will be pretty heavily planted with a single price of driftwood that's about a foot long as a centrepiece.

Between 8 and 12 CPDs for a 10 gallon. But normally you run a little higher temp for a clown pleco. CPDs, I would be aiming around 74 degrees. What does your clown like?

My clown pleco really doesn't care much as long as it's above 72 and below 84 (heater malfunctions have taught me quite a bit about what this guy is ok with)

CPDs are really cool (celestial pearl danios). They stay a small size and are compatible with most other fish. I actually have some in with a betta. They're to fast and know where to hide.

This post has really helped me out as I'm starting my first 10 gallon tank. I had never heard of celestial pearl danios before but now I want some! What's a comfortable max on these if you plan on having three Glofish danios?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom