10 gallon tall octagonal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

Now, I know it's not the ideal set up, but I just aquired a 10 gal tall acrylic tank dirt cheap at a yard sale.

The hood makes it impossible to put a regular filter without serious modification....I am thinking a powehead with a sponge for mechanical....

I removed the broken undergravel filter since I want to plant it anyway.

The fixture is for a 40 watt incandescent bulb....which I will change out to a compact flourescent full spectrum bulb and see how it goes.

Bioload will be low, perhaps a male Betta and some small cory's

I am not sure what to plant yet. I am thinking some asian ambulia or hygro polysperma since it can grow tall and maybe some java ferns tied to a tall branch of driftwood. A single crypt at the bottom.

It's going to be a fun experiement for me. Going from a couple of high tech planted tanks down to this small low tech set up should be fun. :)

At least it will give me my fishy fix for now. At least until I can get my 90 from Montana next year sometime.

Any suggestions on plants or stock? Anyone have exp with a tall tank and plants?

It is going to be a challenge to have any kind of aquascape when there is very limited plant space at the bottom. I am looking for suggestions.

:)
Thanks in advance to you all. :)

I got a glass one dirt cheap at a thrift store so I know the challenges you are going through. For a light I found one at a different thrift store had my son rewire it to hold 2 CFL then I had him make a plexi lid for it. We found the tank wasn't wasn't perfect so the lid had to be in a certain way. It was a gift to someone and he wanted plants so I just went around taking a bit of this that and the other thing I had in my tanks. For a filter I had one I got at a thrift store awhile back HOB rated for 20 gallon. Heater same thing thrift store find.

The substrate was a mix of fluorite and gravel from craigslist. See I don't get everything from thrift stores. Side note I do kick myself for not getting a 40 gallon SW set up this week at one for $30 but I didn't have anyplace to put it. I know someone that would have loved it too so shame on me!!

He put purple moscows in it, taken from one of my tanks. The single most expensive part was the lid it cost $15. He loves it that is all that counts!!

To hide some of the stuff I use driftwood branches that I attach to the side of the tank to make it look like roots hanging down. It also takes away from the octagon look so much, at least I think so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom