100 gallon build!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up my first ever 100 gallon tank. Got it off craigslist with stand and glass hoods included(plus lights, but I'm going to replace) for 200 bucks!!! I couldn't believe it so I didnt pass it up. It took a little TLC but now I've got it up and cycling. Now comes the hard part, STOCKING. I was thinking tinfoil barbs, angelfish, clown loaches, and a ray, but who knows. I'm open to anything as this is my first tank of this size. Here's some pics of what I got so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 75
No not yet. I just started that process today. I know it's cruel to have a fish in there while cycling but he came with the tank and I can't put him anywhere else! He looks really sick so I'm hoping he pulls through. You should have seen the algea and how nasty this tank was when I bought it.

Jnthn932 said:
No not yet. I just started that process today. I know it's cruel to have a fish in there while cycling but he came with the tank and I can't put him anywhere else! He looks really sick so I'm hoping he pulls through. You should have seen the algea and how nasty this tank was when I bought it.

What is he? An oscar? Do you have any friends with a tank? I would keep it with them and rather do a fishless cycle. Did a filter come withthe tank.

Yeah, I think he's an oscar. Filters did, but they were so disgusting from the algea buildup I couldn't use them so I'm using an old filter I had until I can get a canister. Any experience with those? My friends all have smaller tanks and looks really sick. I wouldn't want to contaminate their tanks.

Jnthn932 said:
Yeah, I think he's an oscar. Filters did, but they were so disgusting from the algea buildup I couldn't use them so I'm using an old filter I had until I can get a canister. Any experience with those? My friends all have smaller tanks and looks really sick. I wouldn't want to contaminate their tanks.

How nasty do they look? Also did you use conditioner for the water. Never used a canister. Ive never really had big tanks. I only have a 29 gallon with hob filter.

The thing about the filters that were used had beneficial bacteria that could have sped up the cycle.

I'm not even sure that tank was cycled when I bought it to be honest. Those things were completely covered in algea as well and I don't want an outbreak now that I have it and know how to care for a tank.

And yeah I used conditioner. Prime to be exact. I'm doing this tank right! I'm not gonna rush it like my others lol.

Just read your other post and i think you should give him away or give him to someone who has a tank. Ask your friends if they have a quarantine tank. It doesnt look like he'll make it. Looks like hes tipping over a little.

I'm trying to give him away. I don't think he's going to make it! Poor little dude. If you want those filters, I'd be willing to give them to you for you. All you'd have to pay is shipping.

Back
Top Bottom