1000 gallon Tank: FW or SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) go on liveaquaria.com

2) select all

3) add to cart

Ok just kidding but go fw.

I'm insanely jealous! Good luck! I want to see pictures when you finally get started!

Aaronp said:
Damm that sounds awesom! When u start the tank post some pics ima be seeing how it goes good luck!

l''ll 've sure to post pics. won't be able to get the tank until mid January.

Benamayer said:
#2. Seems pretty plug n play... Plus in all reality, the amount of water will yield a VERY stable salt water environment, and yes would be high maintenance, but no more maintenance than any other salt water tank. Would definitely be pricier though, cost of salt, RODI water, animals, etc. I wouldn't let the maintenance part deter you though, you should feel lucky you already have everything :cool:

I hear what you''re saying and that's the only reason I'm considering SW (already having equipment), however still think it will cost more to maintain.

Bro, saltwater all the way. you can have a peice of the ocean, at your home. The colors and just pure beauty would be outstanding. It's already set up for sw. You would have to top off with ro/di water and use that to fill the tank initally but is totally worth it. If I had the room or cost to do it myself, I would. Fresh water is great I have a FW tank myself but my personal opinion is my favoritism to the sw tank. Everyone has their own opinions and I'm sure whatever you do, it will turn out great. The bigger the tank, the more water volume (obviously) therefore the params are easier to maintain.

Benamayer said:
Out of curiosity was this deal on Craigslist? Have you physically seen the tank? It seems very similar to another post on AA...

no, not a craigslist deal.

coalcut said:
I just finished my 340gal African tank about a month ago. Now I can't believe I've been given the opportunity to purchase a 1000 gallon saltwater system at a "you wouldn't believe me if I told you / you gotta be kidding me" / "I 'd be crazy to pass this up" price from a friend. The system includes acrylic tank, steel stand, sump (at least 500 + gal) to giant protien skimmers, two large chillers, large UV, live rock (no corals), lighting, and much more.

So here's the deal. I really have no desire for a saltwater tank. Just seems (especially with this size tank) like it would me way too much work.

My thoughts are:
1) to sell off all unnessary equipment and convert to a freshwater tank
2) since the tank has everything I need (don't have to purchase any additional equipment) I should just go head start a saltwater tank and learn.

At any rate..................this.....................is.......................... awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your thoughts?

tank for all of your replies.

As I said earlier, where do you plan to put a thousand gallon tank? That'll bust the floor outa a conventional house REALLY easy. conservatively 8000 ibs of water, conservatively, that is. Likely closer to 9000 IMO.

Yeah, that's something else to think about too. Make sure wherever the tank is going, the floor can hold that much weight.

And then I'd imagine another thousand ibs of substrate, maybe more or.less. And a lots of other decor. So good lord, in all honesty that thing'll weigh roughly 5 tons then.

Sweet deal. Good luck which ever way ya decide to go, just don't forget the weight when ya make yer final choice of placement.

Outta curiousity, what are the dimensions on the tank? That would be my final determination on what to put in it. My first thought would be an aro tank, but seriously, as many big SA/CA cichlids and catfish as are offered to me and I turn away, I'd probly turn it into a rescue tank, then use my 225 for Africans. Maybe some frontosas, or a nice Malawi reef like I did when I first got it... :)

WYite

I think a well-planted freshwater setup >>>>>>> saltwater.

Saltwater setups are more colorful. But a FW setup can look just as impressive if done correctly.

Freshwater definantly live plants and large predator fish like gar and maybe a fire eel, and catfish, and more big fish.

If you go freshwater you can have some clown loaches and common plecos even when they grow to full size. That'd be awesome to have fish that large.

I would go salt. A tank that size would be easy to maintain. If you set it up right you would have to do little to no water changes. Think about it I have a ten gal nano tank and I only do 25% water changes every two weeks now that I have it establish. Everything depends on your cleanup crew get the right mix and your good.

Back
Top Bottom