10g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all
The dream is finally a reality. I got the go from the parents to turn the empty 10g into a FOWLR tank. I understand this is small and realize I would only have 1-2 fish. I figured I would track my progress here. First off, this is my list of supplies I need. I already have the tank, light (very basic led), and heater.
Tetra Whisper ex20 hob filter
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Powerhead
Hydrometer
thermometer
prime
Instant Ocean marine salt
20 lbs of aragonite sand (Would this be too much?)
I will probably go with 10 lbs of rock (half live have dead) but not yet though. Yes I don't have a RODI but I really can't afford that right now. So this is only the beginning and I still have tons of research to do (not that I haven't done any yet (hours and hours actually)). Please let me know about this equipment list. Thanks for all the questions I know you will answer. :fish1:

Good Luck! i started my 10 gallon FOWLR about a year ago and it's been amazing. I recommend you get a RODI unit eventually since it will give your tank excellent water parameters, but you can buy distilled water and use that too since the tank is small. Also, if you don't have a lid you'll need to top it off alot!

Attachments

• 0222150032.jpg
    0222150032.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 0222150043[1].jpg
    0222150043[1].jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 197
Skip the hydrometer. Not as accurate as a refractometer and you'll be upset you wasted the $6-$10 bucks on it. That could be 1-2lbs of LR depending on the avg price.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks for the replies guys! I do plan on eventually getting a RODI unit in the future. Same for the refractometer, that's really not in my budget right now. Tank looks great Fishkeeper, what all do you have in there?

If you can forgo the useless plastic hydrometer, perhaps get a dairy hydrometer. They sell them where beer and wine making kits/supplies are sold. There are just as accurate as a refractometer and actually more reliable. Even tho they have the same name as plastic hydrometers, and operate on the same principle (density), they are nothing alike.

All of this depends on your Water params as well. How is your tap? I would highly recommend doing a test for Nitrates or TDS on your tap. Depending on where you live, your water could be super gunky, or not that bad.

I too have heard the horror stories of not using RO/DI water: Algae outbreaks, accumilation of neutralized metals that eventually kill everything, etc. I had a plan to experiment with a 10g saltwater tank, using tap, and just compare a side by side difference.

Assuming you only plan on keeping a FOWLR, no corals, only plan on keeping 1-2 fish (hopefully hardy fish), do weekly water changes, and not too be too upset if all goes wrong (because we have all heard that tap is a no no). Then go ahead and experiment. Please share if all goes well or bad.

All of this depends on your Water params as well. How is your tap? I would highly recommend doing a test for Nitrates or TDS on your tap. Depending on where you live, your water could be super gunky, or not that bad.

I too have heard the horror stories of not using RO/DI water: Algae outbreaks, accumilation of neutralized metals that eventually kill everything, etc. I had a plan to experiment with a 10g saltwater tank, using tap, and just compare a side by side difference.

Assuming you only plan on keeping a FOWLR, no corals, only plan on keeping 1-2 fish (hopefully hardy fish), do weekly water changes, and not too be too upset if all goes wrong (because we have all heard that tap is a no no). Then go ahead and experiment. Please share if all goes well or bad.

My water is actually very good. Well water that is very low in nitrates, do not know the TDS. For now I plan on a FOWLR but hope to get a RODI filter in the next year before going to a reef.

Received my orders this week and put aragonite sand in the tank today. Working on getting things setup to add water. How do you all suggest I place my power head. Not completely sure of best direction and location.

Is a skimmer not a necessity? I'm a newbie myself and thought it was a must have.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Any system that is small enough to do large water changes to address parameter issues can do away with a skimmer. I stick with the 'under 30' rule for this. It is pretty easy to do 50% water changes in that range.
That said, one isn't always necessary, though extremely helpful. The pump for the skimmer on my 55 reef died and it took over a month to replace. The tank didn't crash and burn, but you could see the difference. I still have cyano in my sandbed that will take some time to be totally gone once things are back in check, if I ever get there.

Is a skimmer not a necessity? I'm a newbie myself and thought it was a must have.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

From the research I have done, they really don't do much for tanks under 30 gallons and water changes will accomplish the same thing.

Got everything setup and put water in the tank. Hopefully salt will come mid week and I will get that in.

Put in the salt today and got my sg to 1.024. Plan on getting the live rock tomorrow. Any tips?

No fish or corals, just toss them right in and give them good flow from a powerhead. Now the waiting game, cycling the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom