10g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my live rock today. 40 bucks from petco. Weighed them all and it comes in at about 5lbs. A whole lot less than I thought. It's aquacultered rock but I plan to get maybe 5 lbs of Fiji from a place about an hour away. But that won't be for a few works. Two hermit crabs were on the rock along with what I think is some sort of mushroom coral. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425690577.486296.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425690610.916812.jpg
Any idea on the coral?

Looks good, i have a 20g I'm thinking off doing the same thing with on the cheap with tap water. Maybe a pair of clownfish and a cleanup crew. I'll be curious how this one goes.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Rich. This will defiantly be an adventure. I took my first readings today and got ph of 8 and .25 for ammonia. Sg is at 1.024. I think I'm gonna wring out some established filter media to help boost the cycle.

Here's a better picture of what makes more since to be a carpet anemone. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425741998.046462.jpg
I looked them up and it says they are for advanced aquarists and may cause trouble in your tank. Will this guy make it through my cycle? Should I be doing anything?

Here's a better picture of what makes more since to be a carpet anemone. View attachment 266612
I looked them up and it says they are for advanced aquarists and may cause trouble in your tank. Will this guy make it through my cycle? Should I be doing anything?

Anemone are sensitive guys, like all inverts. I'd want to do water changes through my cycle to make sure the ammonia and nitrite levels aren't at harmful levels. This could lengthen the cycle some.
The key to anemone is to have the proper, intense lighting for them to survive. They have the same lighting requirements as SPS and clams.

Well my lighting really isn't suitable. It's just a marineland led. I had no intentions of housing anything with high light needs until later down the road. Will this guy eventually outgrow my tank if he makes it?

With lighting he could depending on the type he is...if he is a mini-maxi carpet:
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Mini Carpet Anemone
It is very likely that is what you have currently in your tank as they don't require as intense lighting as other anemones, stay smaller, and can be quite colorful. As they have become quite popular lately they have been showing up in many chain pet stores.

Thanks for the link. I think you are right especially because he came from petco. For now should I worry about feeding him?

So I've had my live rock for about five days and my ammonia is only getting to .25-.50. I don't think there is enough die off on the rock to really start my cycle. I probably wont be getting more rock for another week or two. So what do you guys recommend? Should I add some ammonia? Keep in mind there are 2 blue legged hermit crabs and a mini carpet anemone that came on my rock.

Honestly I would prefer to just use straight ammonia. Would that produce the same results I am assuming?

I much prefer using ammonia, as once 30 seconds of math has been done, you just add it and and wait.

30 seconds of math:
10 gal = 40litres(ish) = 40,000ml
1/1,000,000 of 40,000ml is 0.04ml (i.e. 1ppm of 40,000 is .04)
4ppm then is .16ml
ammonia strength is what, 8% (that's what mine is), so 0.16/8% = 2ml

so 2ml (just under 1/2 tsp) of 8% ammonia will bring a 10 gal tank to just over 4ppm ammonia.

so much less gross than pulling a rotting shrimp out. But you have to make sure the ammonia is pure (well 8% ammonia gas dissolved in 92% pure water) and doesn't have any surfactants. You do that by shaking the bottle; if bubbles persist it has them. I use Old Country ammonia

Back
Top Bottom