10G FW Planted Aquarium Build Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
daileene said:
the dirt is holding up good underneath the gravel which I am thankful for. and yes, i do have CFLs in this scokets. i used to have a jungle in here before too but i had a vacation feeder mishap ruining all the plants and then the snowstorm and all. so i am just trying to build this tank again slowly back up.

your jungle is soooooo amazing. i would assume you have good high lighting and co2. it is just so amazing to see your scaping.

Thanks !
LOL No high light or CO2.
Just a couple of 10w CFLs and liquid ferts 1x weekly and root caps.

Vacation feeders suck :(

Thanks !
LOL No high light or CO2.
Just a couple of 10w CFLs and liquid ferts 1x weekly and root caps.

Vacation feeders suck :(

Yes, it really was...it was like a nightmare..one day you have a very healthy tank and the next time you see it, it became barren. I can't believe what happened. But I am hoping that things will turn out alright again. Slowly. :-(

Anyway, you are doing every good thing then, since it shows in your tank. Your shrimps are so healthy as well. :)

daileene said:
Yes, it really was...it was like a nightmare..one day you have a very healthy tank and the next time you see it, it became barren. I can't believe what happened. But I am hoping that things will turn out alright again. Slowly. :-(

Anyway, you are doing every good thing then, since it shows in your tank. Your shrimps are so healthy as well. :)

Yeah, it was Shrimp and Ottos only, then I got a deal on a group buy for CPDs and my rimless wasn't ready, so I added fish "temporarily". Now of course i love them and I'm afraid to destroy my plants trying to catch them. So my solution ? Fish stay, CRS get their own special 5.5g tank w AquaSoil to keep PH low and Shrimp get to breed in a more mellow environment.

I'm going to do some PWCs using half Distilled
/ half Tap to lower my TDS and PH in the main tank. I use IALs they also promote lower PH and add some good tannins. They also provide a good grazing surface.

Wow...i should research more..Lol. I do not know most of the stuff you are doing. Great info.

Thanks alyxx.

Okay so when you say the IALs is good for grazing surface, does it looks like the floating plants? You just put them on top of the tank?

IAL will float for a while then it will sink. It just looks like any old dried leaf litter. If I could find mine I would add some more to my tanks and take a picture, but I'm not sure where they are. Still need to unpack lots of fish stuff.

Ahhh i see..okay. thanks for that info. So basically, that kind of leaves will help lower ph and create a look of tannins, right?

Just updating the proper names of all the plants I have in here:

Anubias Barteri var. Nana 'Petite'
Java Fern 'Philippine'
Crypt Wendtii 'Red'
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Lutea
Crypt Parva
Water Sprite (Ceratopteris Cornuta)
Italian Val
Java Moss
Salvinia Minima
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Frogbit
Rotala Indica

Picture taken last May 1, 2012:

img_1928810_0_f16841ce1b01f621725350a3024b6e95.jpg

img_1928810_1_226fcfc5c37360a0123462dfce67c417.jpg

img_1928810_2_edbf337a6e91b8b1dd746240424c661e.jpg

img_1928810_3_d44d479008a222d096addbc4920a7ed9.jpg

Just updating the proper names of all the plants I have in here:

Anubias Barteri var. Nana 'Petite'
Java Fern 'Philippine'
Crypt Wendtii 'Red'
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Lutea
Crypt Parva
Water Sprite (Ceratopteris Cornuta)
Italian Val
Java Moss
Salvinia Minima
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Frogbit
Rotala Indica

Your Rotala indica looks like Rotala rotundifolia.

Your Rotala indica looks like Rotala rotundifolia.

Ohh really? That is good to know if it is. I always thought it was indica. It was just sold as rotala so I was looking at pictures online and thought it kinda look like the indica. But if it is indeed rotundifolia, then I am thankful for your good eye. :)

How do you keep algy off your plants I have a few plants and I have algy on my plants but not really anywhere else why is this

How do you keep algy off your plants I have a few plants and I have algy on my plants but not really anywhere else why is this

I have dirt soil underneath on the gravel. I also only have the lights on for 8 hours. I also dose Seachem Flourish and CO2 liquid booster during weekly partial water change and then I dose API Leaf Zone and CO2 liquid booster in the midweek.

So far, that helps the tank to be clear of algae. :) Hope that info helps.

Is there a way to check oxygen levels in a tank I have a lot of fish and small plants so I'm still running a bubbler I know it's not the best with plants but I don't want my levels to low

the best way to check it is through your fish. if they are constantly on the top trying to breath, then your oxygen level is not to good. if they are acting otherwise, then they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom