10g ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I now have acquired a free 10g. It came with quite a few items, the decor of which has been placed into an established tank to cycle and the filter is running in my 55g. Here is the filter: Tetra Whisper Power Filter 10, do you think I need a new one? The lighting is a florescent strip, but it has stock lighting T8 15w, so I'm going to get a better 15w bulb once I'm done using this tank as a qt since I've read stock lighting isn't very good. I have an extra 200w Heater I can use for a while, particularly while cycling. I also need to find a surge protector to have enough outlets, and I'll get a GFI outlet (3-Wire GFCI Adapter Plug: Premium Aquatics).
Finally, once I'm done using it as a qt tank, what ideas do you think I should use for this tank (stocking, certain type of tank such as community, or planted, etc.). I have gotten the idea of an rcs tank (from mfdrookie516) which is a good idea I'm just wondering if anyone else had some more ideas. Thanks for helping.

I think i would use it personally for 1 of 3 things. 1 being my first and three being my last

#1 a crawfish tank (a dwarf species)
#2 A rcs tank
#3 or a fry tank

As of the filter i think it would be fine for now but i think once you get money or get the tank started you should get another.

i think you should go planted one way or the other... im still partial to my suggestion of rcs (which your mbuna would love), butsomething like a livebearer setup would be cool, plus you would still have treats for your fish every 28 days or so lol

I say do a medium to heavily planted small fish community tank. Look around for like nano type fish. Get a small school of pygmy cories, a small school of maybe some harlequin rasboras, then maybe a dwarf gourami or something. Maybe a pair of killifish even. You can go a little over the stocking limit if you do a heavily planted tank, they add a ton of filteration.

If you don't like that idea, you can always go with some shell dweller cichlids called multis. They are cute little small cichlids that live in shells.

Yeah they only get about 1in long, you could get 8 for a good number, but they bred quite often once you have a good established tank, so have a plan for the babies. I suggest selling them, they are pretty well wanted. The tank setup for them is easy aswell. All you have to do is get a bunch of different sized shells they can live in, pile them up, and let them be lol.

btw, how long do you think I should seed my decor/filter? Also, btw, I'm planning on getting a new filter after I'm done using it as a qt and have the money.

I normally tell people when your running a brand new filter with an old one, wait a month before you take the old one off. Honestly when I get new filters I just run them and replace the old one, but if your doing the transition I say a month. For decor I have no idea, again I just add stuff whenever. My fish do fine so it's all good. :p

No, I'm running the filter in an established tank, until it has enough bacteria on it then I'll transfer the new to the 10g and leave the old ones on the 55. I'm wondering how long I should leave the filter and decor in the established tank?

No, I'm running the filter in an established tank, until it has enough bacteria on it then I'll transfer the new to the 10g and leave the old ones on the 55. I'm wondering how long I should leave the filter and decor in the established tank?

Oh, well for the filter, the same thing applies. Leave the new filter on the old tank for about a month then transfer to the new tank, but like I said I just run stuff on whatever tank but thats just me.

If you already have established decor in the 55G, then transfer it whenever, if it's not established and your waiting just do the month rule, or just transfer whenever you feel like it. I don't really go by all the "set" rules because my fish do fine by my rules, sure it's not the positively best way but where the fish come from isn't perfect either.

I have the same kind of filter on my betta tank and I LOVE it. It is adjustable so it's great for the bettas, and it is also the quietest filter I have. It is the one I have in my room so that's a good thing lol!
I say those little shell cichlids too! I WISH I had a tank for some of them! They are SO stinking cute!!! She was selling them for $35, and I don't think that's too bad, cause I think she was sending shells with them.

I have a colony of 10 adults and 1 fry/juvie. I think there is only one male, he is around 2". The others are 1.25-1.5" and I can only assume they are females. There may be more males, but they just aren't full grown. The fry/juvie is around 3/4". I started out with 6 Multis and the others have been born and raised in my tank.

I will only sell these as a colony. I'm asking $35 plus shipping ($3.50 each for the adults, fry is free). I will include atleast one shell per fish and put extras in the bags.

Info on them: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Actually she did, here it is marked.

I didn't here anything about the shells, but she sells them as colonies thats why its $35. Understandable though, having a starter colony is always good.
i didnt hear it either, but i did read it :) jk... that is a good price, and would be a great way to start as you have an established colony... and at $3.50 a fish, thats a really good price too, especially compared to what theyre going for on aqua bid (without the shells and fry)

Yeah I know, wish I had caught that deal lol. O well, I'll try to find them somewhere. MFD, do you think you could check blue lagoon to see if they have them?

Maybe that's something we can look at if we go there sometime. Thing is ordering online, it's $29 + $14 shipping with no warranty and $24 shipping with a warranty. It'd b a lot cheaper to go there in person.

Back
Top Bottom