10g nano (new pics 8/23)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE:

I trapped the damsel today. I had a trap in all weekend with a little fish food and no dice. I popped a cube of mysis in there this AM and he was in it within 5 minutes.

(side note - I had no idea what a cube of mysis looks like thawed. Wow. it's a lot.)

Took him back to the LFS and picked up (these are stock pics):

5 Nassarius Snails
S%20smnassarius.jpg

1 Banggai Cardinal:
240px-Pterapogon_kauderni.jpg

1 Rainfordi Goby:
124600-Court-Jester.jpg

1 Scooter Blenny:
syste2-18-10-05.jpg

w00t!!!!1

New Pics!!!!!!!

Banggai Cardinal
368066099_5340f938ae.jpg

Scooter Blenny (Bleonard Part 6)
368066101_8b481f07d9.jpg

(Sorry about the focus)
368066097_65187f544e.jpg

Court Jester Goby:
(sorry about the focus....again)
368066093_0297cefc6c.jpg

368066103_6cdd22f99a.jpg

Favorite so far is the scooter blenny - what a cool fish!

watch out! those scooter blenny's only eat things like PODS and mine eventually died because I diddnt have pods in my tank :(
but everything else looks AWESOME!

blazeyreef said:
watch out! those scooter blenny's only eat things like PODS and mine eventually died because I diddnt have pods in my tank :(
but everything else looks AWESOME!

He ate some mysis that I added but I also have a good supply of pods in the tank currently. I'll maybe order some arctic pods just to make sure he's okay, cause he's the coolest fish I have owned to date.

Nice pics! The blenny can be a little tough to care for, but if he is eating mysis that's a great sign! Try boosting it with some selcon to help him even more.

How about an updated full tank shot? :)

Devilishturtles said:
How about an updated full tank shot? :)

Sure. I'll take any excuse to post more pics. :)

368941204_e480389558.jpg

And the latest acquisition:

368941206_97c499c9fd.jpg

Went to a new LFS and they had AMAZING livestock. I interrogated the guy for about 1/2 hour before purchasing this nudi (and a new cleaner shrimp). NO REGRETS so far. He's awesome, grazing for algae around the rock.....and he's already eaten an aiptasia anemone that kept coming back after getting hit with ph buffer, lemon juice, boiling water, etc.

W00t.

If I remember correctly, they have a dismal survival rate in captivity and usually starve within a few months. I don't think anyone has discovered what they really eat. Please feel free to correct me.
They are VERY beautiful, I had asked my LFS about them and she said the same thing about them starving.

roka64 said:
If I remember correctly, they have a dismal survival rate in captivity and usually starve within a few months. I don't think anyone has discovered what they really eat. Please feel free to correct me.
They are VERY beautiful, I had asked my LFS about them and she said the same thing about them starving.

ugh. I'm having serious problems with all the LFS's around here. i try to do my best to be an informed consumer. I don't try to make impulse buys, but I don't know what a shop has until I go and look.....

So my guess is that the likelihood of this starving in my tank is probably less than the likelihood of it starving in the little 3"x4" livestock partition they had two of these in (SO glad I didn't go for the "mated pair" idea)

As far as no one knowing what it eats, I saw it eat an aiptasia so it definitely eats those, and it appears to be grazing on the slime algae on the walls of the tank.......

Cool, pay close attention to what they eat, you might make a significant discovery!

roka64 said:
Cool, pay close attention to what they eat, you might make a significant discovery!

Yeah, I just hope I don't kill it. There is NO WAY I would have purchased this animal had I known the care was this difficult. It's tough when you feel you need to buy all your livestock online because you cannot rely on what the LFS tells you about the care/feeding of such an organism.....

They are beautiful, but...seriously you might want to take it back. I think the only thing they are known to prey on (beside the aipstasia) are sponges, and maybe some algae. But they need a LOT of food. And when they die, they will release a toxin that will practically kill everything in the tank.

Sorry. :(

Oh yeah, I forgot about the toxins! Thanks for the reminder.

Devilishturtles said:
They are beautiful, but...seriously you might want to take it back. I think the only thing they are known to prey on (beside the aipstasia) are sponges, and maybe some algae. But they need a LOT of food. And when they die, they will release a toxin that will practically kill everything in the tank.

Sorry. :(

Aw, c'mon. I guess I'll take him back today or tomorrow. That's really terrible. :( What an amazing creature.

You could try and keep some aiptasia in the tank! LOL! We saw an ebayer selling them.....

Well, I'll be taking the nudi back to the shop today, so i figured it'd be best to snap as many pics of him as I could......

369859679_e05607bfc1.jpg

369857397_cb4a8d47d4.jpg

369857402_cc9fe6d23f.jpg

Hey is pretty big, I have never seen a purple one that size. Myabr you can ask your LFS where they got him, what size is was and how long they had him and most importantly, what they fed him....

roka64 said:
Hey is pretty big, I have never seen a purple one that size. Myabr you can ask your LFS where they got him, what size is was and how long they had him and most importantly, what they fed him....

The guy was a doofus. He tried to tell me he had 4 in his reef tank and then they multiplied to 6. I told him that was funny, considering the sea slug forum i was researching it on called it Hyplodoris Bullocki (sp?), and was begging divers in the Phillipines and Indonesia to take pictures of the animal eating to see what it ate, as well as mating.

It's really sad to know that the people who need to know the most about the animals they are selling couldn't care less about their care/feeding once they leave the shop. Don't they understand that a happy customer is one with healthy livestock, and that the happy customers are the ones that spend the most $$?

To make myself feel better I bought 2 mushroom rocks and a hammer coral frag. At a different shop. :lol:

And yes, it does seem like the coolest items are the ones we can't keep, but it's not like there's a shortage of cool organisms in this hobby. :)

*raises glass*

Happy Friday!

Back
Top Bottom