10g Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you personally have an established tank? If so a piece of your fully cured LR from your tank would help this one cycle and increase the chances of the fish surviving. Just make sure it's only exposed to air for a few seconds

Edit: that piece on the left looks good another small piece or 2 like that would really help

Yeah, I have two. One is a 20g nano of 4 months, another a ten gallon of three, and then I got some from a friend with a 4 year old tank, that is 125g I believe. You can see that the new peice, is different. It's in the bottom right.

The goal here is to make it low maintenance as possible. Yes I do realize that parameters can change fast, but I'm used to it by now. It will probably house softies in the future.

If you could convince the person with the 125 to give you a couple lbs I would go that route. With you running nano systems ( only run nanos myself also :) ) it would be harder on your systems, but 3 lbs out of a 125 is nothing

The goal here is to make it low maintenance as possible. Yes I do realize that parameters can change fast, but I'm used to it by now. It will probably house softies in the future.

Edit: I do a 100% change on my office pico every month since it's been over a year old

Don't let people tell you that makes nanos harder. It's true they can swing faster but we can also do huge percentage water changes. We can change out 18 gals from a 20 g system and have pristine water again. Imagine trying to change out 75% of a 125g system, but on my 10 or 20 I can do it no problem

I agree completely. People build it up to be a lot harder then it is. I will definitely try to get a little more rock then! I'm testing parameters as we speak. I think it's great to have another person who only runs nanos. I just think they are more fun to have! That is by far my favorite piece out of all the rocks. The color is just amazing! I didn't get it from my friend though. It was in a Red Sea Max tank at a LFS and I asked if I could buy it and they have it to me for free. I give them a lot of customers so! That tank was established though, so it's good.

Yup nanos are awesome looking. I'm currently running 5 of them ( 2 40b's sumped , 2 20 longs and a 10 I just re-started for my GCG that was being harassed by my fiancés dumb clowns :( ). My friend has a 220g reef and I watched it for a month and it was so much more work than all my systems put together with the dosing and all the extra testing because of it. He does have 2 beautiful tangs that can only be a dream for us though, so it does have it's perks

That's amazing! I'm hoping to start maybe a pico soon! I set up a 1/2 gallon the other day with some rubble for fun! I'm still a student so no where near having a fiancé :)! Haha, anyway mind posting some pics of your tanks? I bet they are amazing! I'm pretty new to saltwater myself, and I can't stop wanting to get something new! I can't deal deal with dosing and all the huge issues you can have in a big tank! They do have their advantages though. I like nanos because they are all so different. You can have multiple reefs and be having an awesome ocean from a different part of the world in each room!

40 sps dominated
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186644.330694.jpg
40 mixed
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186690.351554.jpg
One of the 20's
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186752.694867.jpg
And the new 10 (little over 3 months old)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393186811.504183.jpg

Dude! What! AMAZING! That's ridiculous! It looks amazing!!

Parameters of the 10g (Last Wens, forgot to post them)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Phosphates: 0
Alkalinity: 11dkh
PH: 8.4
Calcium: 475
Salinity: 1.024

WE HAVE NITRATES! What! It's a miracle! 2 weeks in! That's amazing! I don't know what I did, but it's good! Ammonia and nitrites had been at zero for a week and nitrates at 10 two days ago. I think it's cycled but I will keep checking the parameters.

I did add a little live nitrifying bacteria so that might be it!

Only one change this week. Nitrates are down to 5-10 area!

Thanks. With the fish in there I'd check for ammonia and nitrite daily or every other day this week and do a wc if either gets above .25ppm

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393898350.851715.jpg

Not sure if anyone is even following this thread but the tank is doing great! The frogspawn is thriving. Growing bigger everyday! The fish are happy and diatoms are spreading :(. Hate the things. Maybe going to add the CUC this week!

Back
Top Bottom