10g Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hope I do see an increase of pH, if not, what could I do to get it up and stable?
no worries...you should be okay after the PWC. Don't dwell on this now. We can address the issue later if we need to.
Also, I have a film of stuff on the surface of my tank, despite the filter spraybar pointing towards the surface. It's not really a problem, because my water is crystal clear, but just wondering what it is?
I suspect it may some form of DOC or residue left from feeding or cyclling. Try pointing another powerhead toward the surface to add more aggitation. You can also get a small brine shrimp net and skimming the surface to remove the film.

I just don't want to have pH problems (unstable/too low) when my fish is in there (if all goes well going in a week on Thursday after 10 days of 0 levels, assuming I don't see a cycle.

Is the film a problem? If not, I'll just aggitate it a bit from time to time :)

The film should not present too much of a problem if you do regular PWCs.

:) Right, I started adding some flake food daily as of yesterday (Ocean Nutrition Formula 1, looks good stuff).

Only problem is, I've broken the flakes up into little bits as they would be when I have fish in, but the flakes don't sink! They just stay floating on the surface of the water, meaning I have to "dab" them with my hand to push them down and make them sink.

Any suggestions? :p

They will saturate with water and sink on there own ofter a while. No need to bother them.

Cool.

I just got an electronic pH/temp meter today. I've calibrated it, and it's showing a pH of 7.86. This was at 7pm tonight, with the lights on since 3pm. This is very low isn't it?! I'm only concerned as I'm planning to add my first fish next Thursday if Ammonia etc. levels are ok between now and then.

And, the digital thermometer on my tank is currently showing 25.5°C (the probe is near the bottom of the tank), and my pH/temp meter shows 26.3°C (obviously taken from the top of the tank)! I understand these things can be out by ±1°C, but if my temp. is 26.3°C, that's very high isn't it! It is stable, however, fluctuating by less than ±1°C each day.

As Lando stated, we'll take a look at pH after the cycle. Sometimes it can take a little longer than the cycle to settle and become stable. Also, pH fluctuates, dropping after lights out and then back up after lights on. Try taking the readings about the same time every day. Temp is another thing that stability is best, as opposed to a 2+ degree swing (not so good). 26.3C is around 79F so you are good there.

Thanks. I just want the pH to be ok before I add my first fish by next Thursday. As you said, maybe the 50% waterchange will help it a lot!

In a morning my thermometer shows about 24.3°C, and it maxes out at 25.9° by the end of the day. I'm going to try lowering down my heater 1 degree to 24°C (it's currently set at 25) so see if I can keep it more around the 24 mark.

I've also just today spotted what I think is aiptasia, on my live rock. It sure looks like this anyway (quite small) :-

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

What should I do about it? :(

Also, should I be testing for "free" or "total" ammonia to get the ammonia reading?

That temp swing sounds normal, I would not worry about it. Aiptasia can spread fast. Use some Joe's Juice, boiling water or some of that lemon juice that comes in the little lemon looking container.
MarkW19 said:
Also, should I be testing for "free" or "total" ammonia to get the ammonia reading?
I'm not sure what "free" means, but you want to have 0 ammonia, period.

My Seachem Ammonia kit tests for Free Ammonia (NH3) or Total Ammonia (NH3 and NH4+). I'll test for total I reckon.

How do I find out if its definitely aiptasia? Apparently theres a 'flower' which looks very similar??

Here are some pics anyway, of the suspected bristleworm and possible aiptasia:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidw49/sets/72157602267042537/

Hi guys, I'm pleased to report that my pH is now a stable 8.35/8.4 tested at night time, but I still have 2 largish worms and the possible aiptasia! What should I do about them?

Also, today I've had a massive algae bloom which seems to have come overnight! Green algae all over the heater, small patches of glass, green hair algae growing on the top of the rock nearest the light, and the sand has gone very brown. I'm hoping my 50% waterchange will help this, as well as my cleanup crew when I get them in a couple of weeks (bloodshrimp, 4 hermit crabs).

Also, I've just noticed some little bubbles that are slowly and constantly rising to the surface. These have never been there before, and don't appear to be coming out of my filter.

Any ideas? :)

Hi guys, I'm pleased to report that my pH is now a stable 8.35/8.4 tested at night time, but I still have 2 largish worms and the possible aiptasia! What should I do about them?
Glad to hear the Phis okay. Now need to worry about the worm yet. If you think you see an aipatasia remove the rock and scrub the area to remove it.
Also, today I've had a massive algae bloom which seems to have come overnight! Green algae all over the heater, small patches of glass, green hair algae growing on the top of the rock nearest the light, and the sand has gone very brown. I'm hoping my 50% waterchange will help this, as well as my cleanup crew when I get them in a couple of weeks (bloodshrimp, 4 hermit crabs).
Since this is a new tank I would not worry too much about it. Test for PO4 and do the 50% PWC. Now is the time to begin evaluating your source water for NO3 and PO4.
Also, I've just noticed some little bubbles that are slowly and constantly rising to the surface. These have never been there before, and don't appear to be coming out of my filter
Are they coming from the substrate? If so, no worries. Once you add some sand sifters they should release.

Thanks Lando. There's a pic of the possible aiptasia in the link above - does it look like one to you?

Well, my tank has now been up and running for 13 days, with no cycle/spike after I'd initially put my liverock in when I started my tank, 0 readings of ammonia or nitrite (I've checked the accuracy of the tests) and about 10ppm nitrates - after checking all these daily for 9 days.

My pH is a stable 8.3/8.4 at night time, and my temp/SG are good. Apart from my algae problems (which I hope to sort with some cleaning and the addition soon of my cleanup crew!), things seem to be going well (fingers crossed).

I intend to do a 50% PWC tomorrow, then am I OK to add my clown?!

:D

Should be fine to add the clown. Just monitor parameters for a few days after the addition.

Will do :) To be honest, I've been adding quite a bit of flake food each day for the past 9 days, ie. I've not just been putting a tiny pinch in! But I've not seen any sort of cycle at all.

If it was going to start, would the cycle have started by now?

Also, when would you add my cleanup crew (bloodshrimp/4 hermit crabs)? Soon, ideally to try and battle my algae! :)

I think you would be okay to add the clean up crew, minus the blood shrimp. I would wait on that. They are sensitive and expensive so no need to add it until you know all is well.

Cool, I'll put my clown, 4 hermits and 2 snails (cerith or turbo) in then :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom