10g Platy Kids tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MamaJasmine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one platy in my tank right now and a blue glofish that is being rehomed at the LFS. I have decided to stick with platy's because the kids just love them and get very excited about seeing Mickey Mouse. I was going to go with guppies, but since I already have a platy that we just love (she even has a name "Lemonade") and LFS said they are always looking for more platys. I have read so many articles that conflict about platys in a ten gallon, so I know some will not agree with this setup. What do you guys think of this build:

1 sun burst MM female
1 white speckled female
1 blue MM male.
4 red cherry shrimp.

The LFS said he would trade me store credit for new platies so I am not worried about having a ton of fry with this set up. Actually I am excited that the kids will be able to see the life cycle. Also the sunburst in my tank right now just pops with the background. I have the finding nemo background and it is very deep blue. I am thinking the red on the bottom and the lighter platys up top will be very interesting to look at. Here is a pic of my tank:

img_1672371_0_ee7fdae569a239a84f509d5b923d9889.jpg

Hi it seems an OK plan to me(y) Just keep up with the water changes and don't overfeed:) Also may i ask what filter do you have on the tank?

Hi afraid i do not know what type of filter that is:oops: Could you describe it please:) The shrimps are a good idea as they will keep the tank cleaner:)

Hi thanks, for the link(y) It explains all(y) From what that says you are over filtering your tank,but always best too if you can(y) How are you finding the filter is performing? I think with the regular water changes you should be all right and have a nice set up there(y) and plenty of fry :fish2:

Actually it came with my tank. But so far so good. If the water clouds up from a water change in minutes it is clear again. My tank is always pretty clean looking. It is also very quiet.

Hi good luck and keep us posted on how it goes:) The cherry shrimps may breed in your tank as well so you could have loads of baby shrimps as well:)
If your tank clouds up a bit after a water change it maybe a good idea to give the gravel a good syphon if possible? Not too thorough just get the main muck out so to speak:)

Great tank! I think your set up should be fine. You could also do all of one sex to avoid babies or do more males than females to keep the fry under control.

Back
Top Bottom