10G stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theGar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I fit a dwarf gourami and maybe 5 dull tetras in a 10G?

By dull, I meant non flashy color fish that would make the gourami look better. Sorry about that. I'll just do a betta tank!

Ok...lol. Guess I had species on my brain. There stocking choices for 10g. Figure out gh/kh, ph tap

Is there anyway to have a peaceful betta community

I have a gourami with two mollies and they seem to do fine. The gourami doesn't really swim fast he's pretty chill most of the time. That's about as big as hes gonna get. The store I got him from had a lot in a 4g tank.. so I'm not an expert but my little set up works great for my fish

Okay and who asked you. The place I got my fish from had all of the dwarf gouramis In not even a 3.5g. My fish are happy with their tank

your five gallon tank isn't a community tank just saying, its overstocked with fish that require 15 more us gallons than what you currently have lol :cool:
LFS's use smaller tanks to conserve money (mostly) and because, its a waste of money to temporarily home a fish that will get sold in a half hour upon arrival in a required size tank.
His method is blunt, but he is 100% correct..
To small of a tank will stress your fish and cause long term harm to their health. The stress can cause ich, other parasites, and diseases, fungal infections...a whole host of bad stuff. A read a study on one site that the fish never recover but I can't find it again right now to show you.

The stocking issues will come in the future. (Weeks to months)

Okay and who asked you. The place I got my fish from had all of the dwarf gouramis In not even a 3.5g. My fish are happy with their tank

first no need to be on the defensive !

just because the pet shop kept the gouramis in small 3.5g tanks that don't make it right .

certain dwarf gouramis per live aquara are compatible with a 10g tank
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Dwarf Gourami Labyrinth Fish

but they suggest some do better in 20g
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Flame Dwarf Gourami

most mollies require minimum of 30g
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Black Molly

it is always best to check compatibility for your size tank along with species
as some don't do well with others

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom