10G tank - stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have finally got my tank cycled. Just having a few issues sourcing fish at the moment with everything going on.

When I do mange to purchase fish, what would you suggest for a beginner? I have been thinking a few neon tetras along with some guppies. Any suggestions on numbers as I know both these species tend to like to be in schools. Would anyone also be able to recommend any "individual" fish who don't mind being on their own and would be passive where they wouldn't be tempted to eat the guppies/tetras?

Thanks in advance.

How much I like guppies, DON'T BUY FEMALES.
Or if you go for female only tank, be **** sure they are virgins.

Otherwise you got 30 tanks by next year...

So, guppies? male only

10 gallon = 7 tetras or 7 guppies

tetras are school fish, so you better don't get them.

How much I like guppies, DON'T BUY FEMALES.
Or if you go for female only tank, be **** sure they are virgins.

Otherwise you got 30 tanks by next year...

So, guppies? male only

10 gallon = 7 tetras or 7 guppies

tetras are school fish, so you better don't get them.

Perfect desperado - Regarding quantity, could I do 7 tetras and 7 guppies or would that be overkill? Ideally I would like both for a bit of colour. Point noted regarding females. If I do want to breed, i'll try with an isolation tank.

Tetras or guppies, thing is even a seasoned fish keeper shouldn't have more than 10.

Also, depending on how you cycled your tank, always start low stock.
Start with 3 guppies and move on from there to give the good bacteria time to grow.
(hence why I say don't get tetras because they are a real school fish
a school of 10 is really the bare minimum for them, while guppies don't really care.
They like some other fish around them but they mostly just do their own thing.)

Female guppies can store the sperm from a male and beside that they breed like rabbits.

You can always scale up later to a 20 or 30 g and then add the tetras.

Neon tetras are too active for a 10g. Ember tetras are a better option, they are a beautiful shade of red and you can have a proper school of 10 in there. They only get 0.75".
Of course there's always the single betta with pygmy corydoras option.

Neon tetras are too active for a 10g. Ember tetras are a better option, they are a beautiful shade of red and you can have a proper school of 10 in there. They only get 0.75".
Of course there's always the single betta with pygmy corydoras option.

Would the betta do well with the Embers or would it be too crowded have a betta with 6+ tetras in a 10g tank?

I have 1 dwarf gourami and 8 ember tetras in my 10 gallon. Alongside some blue velvet shrimps even. The dwarf gourami makes a nice centerpiece fish. Some may argue I’m pushing the limits a little... but I do check my water parameters daily (I know it’s obsessive, but it helps me sleep well as night) and I’ve been getting perfect reading. as soon as it goes out, I do a water change. I run a side overflow sump and a small corner filter.

I keep up with WC about once every 5-6 days. Works for me. I also have it planted, so there’s a little hiding room for everyone.

Ember tetras are nice docile fishes that are a little tolerant. They went through a fish in cycle and ich with me. They all survived..

(Though one died last week, but plainly was my fault being a smart Alec trying to pull of some stunt..I’ll leave the story for another day.)

Agree with the guppies. My colleague had one tank of guppies a while back. Now he has 4 tanks in his office of guppies and pleading everyone to take some of his guppies home. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom